Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010 | 11:02 PM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by trozenhorse
there are lots of goods things to buy @ harbor freight, they have plenty of inexpensive junky things, for $1-$3, but i have to say they have plenty of things are work well and excellent value, i buy all my sockets there, they have some cheap sets and some better sets, the torque wrenches, i bought one at an auto parts store, paid $65 for it, the harbor freight one is identical and $19.99, i am in the import business, and i am convinced and can tell harbor freight has many items that look and feel identical to lots of tools i find at sears and others, the only difference is no name on the harbor freight ones, and yes their torque wrenches are just fine for a part time wrencher, and I have plenty of their tools in my case.
Yeah, you're probably right. Second thought... why stop there? I've seen torque wrencehs at flea markets for like, $8. Get a couple of those and you'll be good to go! No need for that fancy-schmancy stuff.

Old 05-21-2010 | 11:15 PM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by StanfordMan
There is another thread that I started concerning changing the transmission fluid. After checking my Owner's Manuel, I see that you are supposed to tighten the drain plug bolt between 14-21 ft lbs. Well, I don't own a torque wrench; and have simply gotten by with minor repairs and such by tightening according to "feel." However, it occurs to me that you want to be careful not to under tighten the drain plug (so as to avoid leaking) as well as over tighten and possibly snap off the bolt. So, before I run off to Harbor Freight or the Home Depot, can someone recommend the type of torque wrench I should get, understanding that I'm not a professional mechanic, and I am only going to perform minor repairs and maintenance. Therefore, I don't need the best/most expensive torque wrench. Thanks in advance.
Craftsman is a good choice for the price but realize, if you are going to rely on a toqure wrench (not that you shouldn't) you'll need two. One in inch pounds and one in foot pounds to do the work you are describing.

Old 05-22-2010 | 01:21 AM
StanfordMan
|
Tourer

Can a torque wrench that is in inch pounds be used for a bolt that is supposed to be tightened to 14-21 foot pounds by simply converting the inches to feet?

Old 05-22-2010 | 07:52 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

It would be a lot easier to develope a feel for the right torque.Most fasteners only need to be adequately tighened.(meaning, not pull the threads,or tight enough to not leak or loosen)Certain fasteners should have a torque wrench,head bolts,(in automobiles) crankshaft caps, connecting rods,etc.Serious racers,maybe all fasteners.

Old 05-22-2010 | 09:35 AM
Getter
Advanced

Originally Posted by StanfordMan
Can a torque wrench that is in inch pounds be used for a bolt that is supposed to be tightened to 14-21 foot pounds by simply converting the inches to feet?
Yes you can convert it by times your inch lbs by 12.

Old 05-22-2010 | 11:20 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Getter
Yes you can convert it by times your inch lbs by 12.
StanfordMan: You might do better converting inch to foot pounds by dividing by 12.

Old 05-22-2010 | 12:47 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by cpotts454
Im not a professional tool man by any means, but I would recommend staying away from harbor freight for precision tools like torque wrenches and gauges. I would pay the little extra money and get a tool with a lifetime gaurentee, i.e. Craftsman, Snap-on, Duralast. Just my two sense.
I must respectfully disagree. First, HF torque wrenches are known to be very accurate and carry the standard SAE spec of ±4% accuracy. I've had mine checked and both are dead-on across the range except the 150# wrench was 1# off at 100# and 150#. For comparison, my $325 Snap-On wasn't even close to this level of accuracy, and they wanted $40 to recalibrate it. These two HF wrenches are about 10 years old.

Second, Craftsman and Snap-On do not have lifetime warranties, but I don't know about Duralast. However, HF torque wrenches do have a lifetime warranty, just like all HF hand tools.

Last edited by iclick; 05-22-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-22-2010 | 12:54 PM
Tucson_Tim
Tourer

The bar-type (needle type) torque wrenches are great -- as long as you can see it. For quite a few applications, you can't. I have two types: bar and click. And I have the click-type in two sizes ft-lb and in-lb. I'd love to get one of those digital Snap-On wrenches with the audible tones. Those are extremely cool!

Old 05-22-2010 | 01:21 PM
watercop
Cruiser

I have a quarter and 3/8th drive from HF. They seem to work fine. never stripped anything and never had a leak...assume that is the mission. Would be curious how to calibrate one?

Old 05-22-2010 | 03:07 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by krazy3
The needle ones may be more accurate, but depending on where you are wrenching, they can be a pain in the **** to see the needle correctly
I also have an old (40YO) Thorsen torsion-bar (needle) wrench that I tested along side my HF and Snap-On wrenches. It was about on par with the Snap-On, which is to say not a great performer, and tested nowhere near as well as either of my HF wrenches. Here are the results:

(Indicated/Actual, all in ft/lbs except the 1/4" wrench)

Thorsen: 50/58, 100/104

Snap-On: 50/43, 75/70, 100/95, 150/140

Harbor Freight 1/2": 50/50, 75/75, 100/101, 150/149

Harbor Freight 1/4": 200/200 in/lbs (test device couldn't test lower)

I said earlier the 150# HF wrench was only 1# off at one point, but in fact it was 1# off at two points, well within its ±4° spec. I'll edit that post to reflect this. That test was done about three years ago and I'll do another soon for comparison, although I no longer have the Snap-On wrench.

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench