Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions wanted: Battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:44 AM
slime_dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone.

I will check Batteries Plus here in our area. I have done a short search on this forum. I also wanted to see if anybody had experienced the starting problems I have been seeing recently.

I do keep the battery on a tender at all parked times. That might explain why a cold start is no problem while a warm start is problematic. My onboard volt meter does show a reasonable charge voltage, if that is more precise than the thermometer. ;-)

Old 05-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I have the same issues. 07 Ultra 33K miles. Battery tendered all winter only.
I've just started to notice the hot start problem. It'll only get worse from here.
Here in Michigan seems 3 years is average for a bike battery. Tendered or not.
I think the extreme cold does it's damage in the winter.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:42 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
On a side note, once you get a new battery, put a battery tender on it from the get go and use it all the time 24/7, 365 regardless of the season while it is parked. It will go a long way in saving your battery.
+1 on that. As stated plenty of threads already on here about batteries. When I need one I will be buying the Odyssey and found the best price here. This link is for my battery so you will have to search for yours.

http://batteryjack.com/cgi-local/Sof...f44+1268685568

Old 05-21-2010, 02:33 PM
tedcmiller (Cry Baby)
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hear, hear for battery tenders. I have used them for years and as other posters indicated, they should be connected all of the time. I have gotten more than six years out of all batteries connected to a tender before they showed the first signs of battery failure.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:08 PM
NMNSG08
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Odyssey batteries,have had great luck them.I've run them in all of my bikes for the last 15+ years and have never had a battery issue,my 2 cents.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Before replacing the battery check the snugness of the terminal bolts...common problem. Your battery isn't very old.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Stick w/HD....you might find cheaper, but that's not always better when it comes to starting your scoot. HD's batteries are actually one of the best on the market.
+1........

Old 05-21-2010, 11:45 PM
watercop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replace my harley battery on my 2006 road king with this one..http://www.batterystuff.com/batterie...e/hYIX30HL.htm and have been pleased. Same specs as HD battery, looks identical except for HD logo. Plus one on checking your terminal connections...they have a tendency to loosen. Definitely use a battery tender for long periods of storage. I also have a load tester to occaisionally check the battery conditions.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:24 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

I use a Odyssey on my dragbike. I need the cranking amps to turn the motor over. When the battery on my EGC finally dies, an Odyssey will replace it.
http://www.odysseyfactory.com/powersports.html
http://www.odysseyfactory.com/powerspecs.html

Last edited by AlCherry; 05-23-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:01 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tedcmiller
Hear, hear for battery tenders. I have used them for years and as other posters indicated, they should be connected all of the time. I have gotten more than six years out of all batteries connected to a tender before they showed the first signs of battery failure.
+1 on that. Got 7yrs out of my 01RKC battery before I replaced it prior to a long trip a couple years back.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted: Battery replacement