Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Butt Relieft on a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006 | 10:14 PM
greatgolf7
|
Cruiser
Default Butt Relieft on a Road King

I just bought a Tallboy seat with my Chrome Points. The seat sets me great being 6'4". After riding for 3-4 hours my butt really starts hurting. From that point I have to stop about every 45 minutes. I had a Corbin on my Softail which I really liked. I was interested in looking at the Corbins and the Mustangs but was wandering how it would compare to the stock Road King Classic seat or the Harley Tallboy. The Butt needs Relieft![:@]

Thanks

Old 08-16-2006 | 10:43 PM
sligarn5
Cruiser
Default RE: Butt Relieft on a Road King

I've never sat on a Mustang or a Corbin, but I do have the Road King seat on my bike (the one with the silver and black studs). I really like it, but it came with the bike and I am pretty cheap so I probably won't ever change it. I am not near 6'4", so I am sure that you would find yourself a little more bunched up, but it is a good, wide saddle with plenty of cushion. My rear starts to hurt after a while, but I think mostly because of sitting in the same position for an extended period.

Something that does seem to help is the driver's backrest that I scammed out of my dealer when I bought the bike. It lets me lean back and lift my butt up a little for a few seconds, and move into slight but varied positions. I think it retails for about $150, but it is well worth it in my opinion. The only two problems I have found with it are that it pushes you a bit foward in the saddle to the floorboards (which is not that big of a deal for me as I am a shade under 5'6") and it can be a huge pain in the rear and the knuckles to take off if you want a more clean look on the bike. It is basically an aluminum rod that has been bent into a long horse shoe with a spring in between the two lower posts. those posts go into a bracket that is fairly easy to install on the rear tin and have three height settings. It takes quite a bit of leverage to get the thing out when set on the lowest setting. But again, I think it is worth it.

Old 08-16-2006 | 11:52 PM
wldhogn
Tourer

If you get 3-4 hours of riding before your butt "really starts hurting" .. consider your self lucky, either that or you're young and not like some of us "older" citizen riders that get that butt ache about 50 miles down the road. I've ordered a touring Sundowner from Chicago Harley and it's suppose to be here on the 21st. I've heard lotZ of pros and cons about all types of seats and just wanted to try one that was quite a bit wider for me and my passenger (aka the little lady). It's difficult to give an opinion on things like seats and handlebars because we are all different in height, weight and stature. Hope it all works out for you.

Old 08-17-2006 | 08:24 AM
greatgolf7
|
Cruiser

So it is normal for the ole butt to hurt after so long. I just read about some people where they put 1000 miles plus in 2-3 days. That would just kill me.

Old 08-17-2006 | 09:28 AM
RKC2001
Cruiser

I have a Corbin touring seat on my Road King and I like it. It sets me back a little too much (short arms and bad shoulder) I'm only 5'10", so it might be okay for you. It's very comfortable once it forms to your butt. I rode 1,600 miles in 3 days and my butt didn't bother me until the 3rd day. I bought it on eBay.

Old 08-17-2006 | 09:35 AM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: greatgolf7

So it is normal for the ole butt to hurt after so long. I just read about some people where they put 1000 miles plus in 2-3 days. That would just kill me.
I guess everyone is different, but on my RCK, set up with a rider's backrest, a Sundowner seat and Wild1 508s, I rode 1700 miles back from Sturgis in 3 days. Granted, there were a few times I had to shift in the seat, but I don't think you could sit on a couch that long without some minor discomfort.

My point is a comfortable seat and setup should allow you to ride longer distances, unless you have an underlying physical problem.

Old 08-17-2006 | 10:13 AM
bountyhunter
Banned

6'3"...Sundowner...low/wide/comfortable with decent profile on bike. Awesome comfort combo with a backrest & cruiseboards!

Old 08-17-2006 | 02:08 PM
wldhogn
Tourer

If you want to talk "sore butt" try these guys on for size!!

"About the IBA"

Includes information about the Iron Butt Rally and other Iron Butt Association long-distance rides, such as the SaddleSore 1000 (1000 miles in 24 hours), BunBurner 1500 (1500 miles in 24 or 36 hours), and the 50cc Quest (coast-to-coast in 50 hours).

In case you're interested in joining, you can get more info at Iron Butt Association

Old 08-17-2006 | 02:28 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain

I just did 3K RT to Sturgis. The Sundowner was, no doubt, better than my stock RK Custom seat, but I still got two sore points after 70-80 miles or so. Getting off the steed for 10 minutes would allow me to get another 60-70 miles down the road with little discomfort. Still a problem, though. I'm gonna try a sheep's wool pad next. I was also using a Kuryakyn Gran Tour pack on the passenger seat with the lumbar pad, which was superb. I'm less inclined to go the gel route, since I've had a few folks tell me that they got hot spots. The search for ultimate comfort continues....!

Old 08-17-2006 | 03:11 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

Enjoy the sore butt, your next ride"The Little Rascal'" will have great comfort but no get up and go. LOL, Ive heard good things about the Gel seats saddleman and Lepera are selling.

Quick Reply: Butt Relieft on a Road King