Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Butt Relieft on a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006 | 03:42 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Default RE: Butt Relieft on a Road King

It's hard to beat a broken in Corbin. My choice for over twenty years. A lot of people don't have the patience for the break in, I bought mine cheap. Anything over 3-400 miles, I add the sheepskin. Gel is over rated- the sun heats them up so hot it cooks the 'roids.

Old 08-17-2006 | 04:01 PM
bucs012
Road Master

Want to try something cheep?

Spend $5 on some black shelving liner at your local Menards or Lowe's. It's the same stuff people use in their tool box's to line their shelf bottomswith. Soft and non slip. Fold it over on its self about 3 to 5 times (depending on how much padding you want) and test ride till you find the right thickness layer. When you have, cut it to fit your seat and you're good to go! It really works. It doesn't slide around at all either! I do remove it and put it in my bag or up on the dash when I get off my bike if it's a windy day though.

Old 08-17-2006 | 04:09 PM
dforeid
Road Captain

Get one of these.... it's an Airhawk and is used by many of the Iron Butt rally folks. It's an excellent product and I use one myself. The picture in the link shows what it looks like with the cover off of it. There are more pics showing it with the cover on as well. this unit is made by the same company that invented the cushions put on hospital beds to help folks with bedsore issues. I have tailbone trouble after being on my RKC after about a couple ours - it kills me. But with this, I can ride all day no problem. It's the only thing that has worked for me and I've tried many options. There's a guy on Ebay that sells them for about $145.00 (at least that's what my brother paid for his).

Seriously, these are the ticket for butt trouble! I went with the "cruiser medium" and it fits my seat perfectly.

http://www.shapefitting.com/ProductI...=CRUISERMEDIUM

Hope this helps.....

Old 08-17-2006 | 04:34 PM
bagr
Advanced

I just did the Iron Butt Lake Michigan 1000 (under 24 hrs ) on my 04 Road Glide with stock seat.
We were lucky to have to stop every 130 miles for a 05 v-rod to gas up. After 400 miles I was really starting to get uncomfortable. Our lead bike a Road Glide SE had the Corbin Dual Touring and he could go about 800 miles before starting to get the squirms.
I'm saving for a Corbin.
"Ride safe everyone"

Old 08-19-2006 | 03:34 AM
JBA111
Road Captain

I gota go with the Air Hawk. you can stiffen it up for awhile and then let it down and move it forward some and then move it backward, so it can change your feeling back/down there. I got a busted up tailbone and the stock glide seat will blood blister me in 400 miles. but with the Air Hawk I can ride 6-700miles day after day and not get sore.
I've had mine for about 3 monhths now and it stays on the bike all the time.

Old 08-19-2006 | 04:32 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Gunkholes

I just did 3K RT to Sturgis. The Sundowner was, no doubt, better than my stock RK Custom seat, but I still got two sore points after 70-80 miles or so. Getting off the steed for 10 minutes would allow me to get another 60-70 miles down the road with little discomfort. Still a problem, though. I'm gonna try a sheep's wool pad next. I was also using a Kuryakyn Gran Tour pack on the passenger seat with the lumbar pad, which was superb. I'm less inclined to go the gel route, since I've had a few folks tell me that they got hot spots. The search for ultimate comfort continues....!

CORBIN

Old 08-19-2006 | 07:21 AM
Edmo
Road Master

Here's the bad thing about seats...

Everyone is built a little different and each bike and seat fits them differently. Because of this, some seats are more comfortable to one guy and less to others & vice versa. Unfortunately, you have to pay hundreds of dollars for a Corbin or a Mustang just to determine if you have a butt which matches one of these seats.

I'm 6'1" and put a Mustang seat with adjustable backrest on my Road King Classic. This decision was based on my success with a Mustang seat on my former Heritage. Both seats solved my "squirms" and my ride is much better because of it. The longest ride so far on my RK Classic has been 320 miles with several stops enroute. No problems. For my Heritage it was all about the back rest. My lower back really bothered me after only a short ride and the adjustable backrest fixed the problem. The different angles on my Road King allowed me to easily run without the backrest, but it makes it much more comfortable.

Being 6'4", you might think about the HD "Tall boy" seat which lets a taller guy stretch out a bit. I've never even seen one, so I have no review. Any Tall boys out there?

Edmo

Old 08-19-2006 | 10:53 AM
PsycleFreak
Cruiser

Rode on the stocker to Sturgis (RKC) and did I get the assburn!! Decided to buy a set of the memory foam/gel pads for the ride home and these things work like a charm. Took the burn away and I didnt have to stop until I needed fuel. These are the ones that go on top of the seat not in it. http://www.airrider.com/store/category.php?cat=8 But I paid less than 200 for mine and wifes.

Old 08-19-2006 | 11:29 AM
carsoni
Tourer

When you cook a "ROID" how do youknow when it's done?
ORIGINAL: Beemervet

It's hard to beat a broken in Corbin. My choice for over twenty years. A lot of people don't have the patience for the break in, I bought mine cheap. Anything over 3-400 miles, I add the sheepskin. Gel is over rated- the sun heats them up so hot it cooks the 'roids.

Old 08-19-2006 | 12:55 PM
venture33
Road Master

I can't drive my truck a 1000 miles in a day, and my seat is very comfy. Guess I'm just weak and useless.