Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:11 AM
jorswift
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brakes...

Are the HD front brakes supposed to suck? My RKC front brakes dont do their job too well I feel. How should they be? I am used to riding a Buell XBR and rice rockets where I could stop on a dime with my front brakes. I can hit my RKC hard and not do much. Is it my rotors? My pads look good and seem to have a lot of life left.. Help please. Thanks.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:18 AM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, they are not the best stoppers in the world even though they are made by Brembo, and even with the ABS option. Unlike my other bikes, I have found my 09 RK is a front and rear brake kind of bike when you want to slow down, and even then it's best to leave plenty of room.

Love my beast, but it doesn't stop like my other bikes.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:20 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

An 800 pound touring bike isn't going to stop like a Buell XBR. The Brembos don't suck by any stretch, but they're also not going to stop like a canyon-carver.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:24 AM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a VTX1800 which was an 800 plus pound bike and stopped great. I do not like the way my 2008 Ultra stops. But, loved many other things about her

Old 05-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Seminolebagger
Cruiser

The pistons in the brake calipers do not have dust boots on them. Bad design. The brake dust builds up on the pistons and causes them not to retract fully and makes the brakes feel very mushy. Here is a link on how to go about cleaning them.

http://www.lyndallracingbrakes.com/service_tech.htm

I did mine a while ago and the difference is amazing.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Chief X
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brembo is a nice step up from the previous Hayes calipers but like previously stated, stopping power on a Harley just isn't the same as a sportbike. If you think yours are bad, try a Cross Bones which has a single piston caliper. It sucks!

Old 05-20-2010, 09:48 AM
soundman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Seminolebagger
The pistons in the brake calipers do not have dust boots on them. Bad design. The brake dust builds up on the pistons and causes them not to retract fully and makes the brakes feel very mushy. Here is a link on how to go about cleaning them.

The pistons are not supposed to retract fully when you release the brake lever. No disc brake system does this. As the pads wear down, the piston's 'home position' will gradually be further out of the caliper.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:14 AM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Default Try Brembos

Looking at your signature pic, I'm thinking you have a 2003 that came with the same crappy brakes my 2004 came with. In 2008 H-D went to a new design Brembo brake set that is much improved over the older brakes (like ours).

If you're really into it, you can buy a complete (slightly used) 2008-2010 H-D Brembo front brake kit on eBay for about $350, calipers, rotors, master cylinder, and matching clutch lever. the new rotors are larger, but bolt right onto the old front wheel. The new calipers fit the new larger rotors and also bolt right onto the old fork. The new master cylinder is a bit larger, to move more fluid, and also bolts right on. I have a complete set sitting in my living room waiting to be installed on my 2004 RK.

There are lots of good posts on this retrofit/upgrade, like this post: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...d-at-last.html

JR

Old 05-20-2010, 11:23 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by soundman
The pistons are not supposed to retract fully when you release the brake lever. No disc brake system does this. As the pads wear down, the piston's 'home position' will gradually be further out of the caliper.

Yes but he is right, they don't retract enough and I had to clean pistons about every 2500 miles. I haven't seen the problem as bad with the brembos.

Beary

Old 05-20-2010, 11:57 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,274 Likes on 1,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Seminolebagger

So did I. Night and day difference.

Quick Reply: Front Brakes...