Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antenna relocation

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 06:40 PM
lightu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna relocation

I have an '06 Street Glide. Just put on a detachable tour pack. It uses the antenna hole for it's docking. Now I need to move the antenna. I see HD has a kit for $99. Does anyone have an alternative? I know there are rubber antennas, maybe mounted on the spacer between the saddlebag and the fender? I've heard the internal antennas might not be the best in rural areas where stations are few and far between, like where I am. I'd like to find or create something that works and looks good. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Old 08-16-2006, 06:53 PM
wldhogn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Antenna relocation

Did you consider a hidden antenna? I just ordered one from ebay click here to check it out. I haven't installed it yet but have heard good things (and some not so good too) about the antenna. It's hidden under your fairing so no one sees an antenna anywhere. Just another option for you to consider!

Old 08-16-2006, 06:56 PM
lightu
Advanced

That looks good. How about your old wiring that goes back to the stock antenna? And how hard is it to get the inner fairing off to plug this antenna into the radio?

Old 08-16-2006, 08:14 PM
wishbonecg
Cruiser

I switched to the hidden antenna that mounts in the fairing and I don't like it. It doesn't have nearly the reception at the original. As much as I don't like the original antenna, I will probably put it back on but I don't have a tourpack.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:45 PM
wldhogn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Road Glide .. so the fixed fairing is different than your batwing. Maybe one of the guys will respond to the difficulity or lack of it to removing your fairing. I do agreee with Wishbonecg that you'll probably get better reception with the regular whip antenna but if you have a tour pack .. the whip is out unless you reposition it to the tour pack itself. As far as the wiring for the regular antenna, you just unplug it from the radio, and leave it there. I installed a tour pack on my Road Glide and the RG was already wired for the tour pack antenna and power for the lights. When I'm not using the tour pack, I just tuck the wiring in next to the battery under the seat.