Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody removed stereo from fairing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 11:55 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

did you get the radio out ?

Old 05-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Storm_law
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it out. The guy who installed it put two big blogs of glue near the bezel and one on top. It was glued in. That is why it was a bitch to get out.

I discovered that my left vertical fairing support bracket and my horizontal support bracket are broken. This is the second time for the horizontal, first time for the vertical!

Damm

Old 05-20-2010, 12:35 PM
ultrat
Road Master

join the club, glad u got it out. expect the unexpected....

Old 05-20-2010, 01:50 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Storm_law
Got it out. The guy who installed it put two big blogs of glue near the bezel and one on top. It was glued in. That is why it was a bitch to get out.

I discovered that my left vertical fairing support bracket and my horizontal support bracket are broken. This is the second time for the horizontal, first time for the vertical!

Damm
That's exactly what I was thinking it might be.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:53 PM
NYRobG
Advanced

Originally Posted by Storm_law

Damm
I slapped angle brackets on both the left and right (the right side had a few hairline cracks in it). Drilled through and used nuts and bolts on them. The last Harley mechanic who looked in my fairing said that was a great idea and that he was going to do the same thing to his Ultra later that night.

One other piece of advise...Check underneath where the radio used to be (since you pulled it out already)...There is a three-connector plug under there that fits in to your ignition switch.

MAKE SURE THAT PLUG IS CONNECTED TIGHT. It is your main power connection to the ignition switch.

The last time I pulled my H-K stereo that plug came out with it....and since my bike wouldn't start afterwards...it gave me quite the nervous-breakdown until I figured out what had happened.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:22 PM
GzrGlide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear you figured out the radio. I had mine out last weekend and also found the left vertical bracket was busted. I could have welded or used an angle bracket to fix it, but HD has redesigned the bracket in that area and it looks to be much more durable. I got the new bracket. It's not that big of a deal to replace. Just takes some time and forethought.