Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Slick Road Nearly Caused A Busted A$$ !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 03:04 PM
paco ritter
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Oil Slick Road Nearly Caused A Busted A$$ !!

Last weekend I was leaving a friends home traveling a county road I had done many times in the past. I approached an "S" curve that I knew about what speed was safe to negotiate, so I continued as normal. After making the left curve at 60mph and just before coming into the right curve, I backed off the cruise to slow down to 55mph as this part of the curve I knew to be a bit sharper than the first part. As I neared the end of the curver portion of the roadway, I accelerated and leaned a bit harder into the curve. Suddenly, the rearend of my '07 UltraClassic swapped around almost with the front end !!! I got out of the throttle, rode it until it staightened up and then thru a severe front end wobble for a few more seconds. I finally regained full control then I turned around and headed back to see what caused all this. I have a brand new Dunlop Elite III on the front, less than 500 miles, and the same on the rear, only with probably 5K miles on it. Both tires in excellent condition.

Appeared that a vehicle, truck, car, tractor, don't know what, lost a large amount of oil, transmission fluid, hydraulic fliud, not sure exactly what, but I do know it was slick as hell on both inside tracks of both lanes of traffic.

This is as close as I have ever came to totally losing it and going down, and this was at 55mph. I lasted maybe 5 seconds total, but a serious situation even if it was a short time. Luckily, I came out unharmed and no damage, except maybe dirty drawers from the aftermath.....

A word of advice...just keep an eye on those dark streaks on the road, they could be oil slicks...and you could end up upside down before you know whats happening....PACO

Old 05-19-2010, 03:26 PM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you are ok. 5 seconds or 5 mins it's all the same when you are trying to stay on two wheels.

Great job!

Old 05-19-2010, 03:37 PM
rogerfromco
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bet there was an dark patch in your shorts after that one too! Good job getting off the throttle and straightening that one out.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:53 PM
paco ritter
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

10-4 on the nicotene stain in my drawers after my slip an slide adventure....still scares my mule every time I think about it....