Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent performance issues on an 09 RG

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 02:36 PM
rogerfromco
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recent performance issues on an 09 RG

I've got a few things going on with my 09 RG that don't seem quite right and am going to take it in for a service check. Got take it in for the tank recall anyway, but before I do, I thought I'd do a post here with some of the things I've noticed and see if there might be something obvious that's an easy fix first.

My setup - stock motor, Bub 7 TDs, high flow air cleaner, SERT, and dynoed at 1500 miles.

So here we go...
  1. The idle RPMs have been inconsistent as of late. Up until now, it's been pretty consistent at ~950 - 1000 rpms. Now it varies and can be around 1000, 1400, or even 1900 and changes during the same trip.
  2. The oil level appears to be about a 1/2 quart high and I've been told by several riders behind me that there's no smoke coming out, but it smells like its burning oil "on deceleration" - oh and I have a little decel popping going on too, but not too bad. I've also noticed when I pull in the garage that it smells like it's running rich.
  3. My oil temp rarely runs below 235F on even cool days and is generally close to 255 and as high as 275. I am running Redline so I'm not worried about the oil breaking down, just seems too high.
  4. My oil pressure also fluctuates. Sometimes it's around 32 psi, which I hear is normal, but it's jumped up as high as 39 psi.
  5. Finally, this weekend was the first time I was cruising at 75-85 mph on the interstate for any length of time in 6th gear. 6th felt really sluggish on the torque compared to 1st - 5th.
I can do simple stuff like stereo install and bolt on bling, but not much more than that but if there is something simple to check and fix before I go to the dealer, I'd love to be able to shorten this list.

Thanks - Roger

Last edited by rogerfromco; 05-19-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:56 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

Wish I could help you, but I have the same knowledge level as you, but at least I can give it a bump so maybe someone else can.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:52 PM
rogerfromco
Road Master

Thanks for the bump. Looks like I need another! I friend suggested maybe I just need another dyno tune, but that seems odd to me.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:32 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Subscribed, can't wait to hear what your dealer says

Old 05-21-2010, 07:24 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

1. The stinky oil smell is Redline.Other threads on this issue. I have this problem too.
2. If your oil is overfull and it was filled to the correct level the extra fluid is coming from somewhere.
3. Oil pressure fluctuating on a Harley is pretty normal. It could be that your crankcase is overfull.
4. I had a very similar problem with oil temp heat and running Rinehart True Duals and SERT. Never got that setup to run properly. After a lot of chasing around I was told the TDs were screwing up the motors scavenging. A tune with a good dyno man probably could have made the setup work. I tried the Zippers ECM and it just made things worse. I put the stock ECM back in and bought the FUEL Moto package and the bike has run great ever since. Oil temps are where they should be and the bike runs great.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:55 AM
jokenighttrain
Cruiser

Idle issue: Read that the idle fluctuation could be a throttle body gasket leak. If you spray WD-40 around the TB while she's running and it increases in rpm's then there's a leak.

6th Gear: don't know; mine runs fine on flat ground (no hills in Illinois), enough to pass but I'll slip into 5th if I want to get around someone fast.

Let us know what the dealer tells you or fixes.

PS - here's something I found on another site...

I pulled the air filter. If you look up into the top side of the throttle body opening, just outside the throttle plate, there's a hole, about 3/8" diameter. If you look up into the hole, there's a "doo dad" in there. Thats the Idle Air Control valve, which controls idle speed, like an idle speed screw on a carbed engine. If you turn the ignition switch on with the kill switch on, then off again, the "doo dad" will cycle open and closed. With everything turned off, I sprayed the cleaner into the hole with the small tube attached to the nozzle of the can, to get pressure into the hole. Lots of crap was flushed out, probably also into the intake manifold. I put a towel under the throttle body to keep the cleaner off the engine.Then re-installed the filter to lessen the chance of backfire setting my garage on fire. Then I cranked her up. She didn't want to start that well, must be carb cleaner and carbon don't burn well. Repeated this process twice more, then called it good. Good luck, hope this fixes your problem. I ride to work every day, and to lunch. This really seems to have fixed my issue.

Last edited by jokenighttrain; 05-21-2010 at 08:16 AM. Reason: add-on
Old 05-21-2010, 09:15 AM
rogerfromco
Road Master

Thanks guys. Interesting comment on the ECM and the heat. I have thought about going with a PCV with autotune and a map from Jamie instead of paying for more dyno time that may or may not fix the problem.

I'll also check the throttle body gasket leak tomorrow and see if that is what's causing the idle issue. If not, I saw another thread about resetting the idle by some combination of ignition switch movements and throttle positions that I'll try.

Going to take it to the dealer a week from today to have it checked out. I'd take it in sooner, but I am running a poker run on Sunday and have a seat modification appointment with Bitchn Stichn next Thursday.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:24 PM
rogerfromco
Road Master

Originally Posted by rogerfromco
The idle RPMs have been inconsistent as of late. Up until now, it's been pretty consistent at ~950 - 1000 rpms. Now it varies and can be around 1000, 1400, or even 1900 and changes during the same trip.
  1. The oil level appears to be about a 1/2 quart high and I've been told by several riders behind me that there's no smoke coming out, but it smells like its burning oil "on deceleration" - oh and I have a little decel popping going on too, but not too bad. I've also noticed when I pull in the garage that it smells like it's running rich.
  2. My oil temp rarely runs below 235F on even cool days and is generally close to 255 and as high as 275. I am running Redline so I'm not worried about the oil breaking down, just seems too high.
  3. My oil pressure also fluctuates. Sometimes it's around 32 psi, which I hear is normal, but it's jumped up as high as 39 psi.
  4. Finally, this weekend was the first time I was cruising at 75-85 mph on the interstate for any length of time in 6th gear. 6th felt really sluggish on the torque compared to 1st - 5th.
The oil level checked out fine and there was no fouling on the plugs, so I'll chalk up the oil smell to "Redline" as a previous poster mentioned.

The idle seems to be doing fine now. I did the reset by turning the ignition on and off 4 times before I took it in and that seems to have fixed it.

The oil pressure and temps all checked out "within specs" by the dealer and they said that Harley considers 275F ok. I'll just keep running synthetics to be on the safe side and change the setting on my Dakota Digital's to not start flashing until 280 F.

As for the 6th gear being a bit sluggish, the test rider said it rode normal for him. I don't use 6th gear much at all, so maybe that one was just my perception.

Well at least I got the tank recall repair done and my bike washed for free! Time to ride