Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 Gallon Tank Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:15 PM
nvxplorer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 Gallon Tank Questions

First off, I'll say that the gas gauge on my '09 RK is about as accurate as a sawed-off pointed at a barn, but I do prefer it to no gauge at all.

Will the tank hold more gas sitting straight up or leaning on the kickstand? A few friends of mine fill up while sitting on the bike, but they have Street Glides. My tank never takes much more than four gallons after the low fuel light comes on. The placement of the cap on RKs would seem to suggest that the tank can't be filled as much as those with caps in the center.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:27 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All I know is that at my last fill, the thing took 6.2 gallons. Phew, that was close. I still think they're a pain in the *** to fill easily.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

It would make sense that if you filled it upright you would have less airspace unfillable above the level of the opening but I'm not sure the difference would be all that much. At any rate my azz says its time to stop long before the fuel gauge says it is

Bub

Old 05-18-2010, 02:11 PM
nvxplorer
Advanced

Originally Posted by 55Bubba
It would make sense that if you filled it upright you would have less airspace unfillable above the level of the opening but I'm not sure the difference would be all that much. At any rate my azz says its time to stop long before the fuel gauge says it is

Bub
Yeah, I stop long before E myself, but you can ride very long distances between gas stations out here in the desert. Upwards of 200 miles between services is not uncommon on some highways.

What's puzzling me is why the tank only takes a little more than four gallons after the light comes on. It could be just inaccuracy of the system.

Last edited by nvxplorer; 05-18-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by nvxplorer
Yeah, I stop long before E myself, but you can ride very long distances between gas stations out here in the desert. Upwards of 200 miles between services is not uncommon on some highways.
Yup, I've found a few roads in Nevada that fall in that category!

Originally Posted by nvxplorer
What's puzzling me is why the tank only takes a little more than four gallons after the light comes on. It could be just inaccuracy of the system.
Don't know what to tell you on that. I rented an 08 Ultra for a week end and it took right at 5 gallons around the time the low fuel light came on. My 09 Ultra does pretty much the same. The light comes on and I pull off a few miles later and 5 gallons it is, give or take a tenth or two.

To answer the OP's question, I've got an aftermarket center stand on my bike and I usually fill up while the bike is parked on that but I've done it a bunch while on the jiffy stand too. I really can't tell that it makes much difference. If it does, it's only by a tenth of a gallon or so.

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Javawave
Tourer

When mine comes on I can 4.3 - 4.5 gallons in it. most I have ever put in was just over 5 gallons. There is no reserve on the EFI bikes so this doesn't bother me in the least.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My miles to empty is 235 when I fill up on the Jiffy stand..
When I fill it on my centerstand..my miles to empty says 255..
That's almost a 1/2 gallon more..

Old 05-18-2010, 03:10 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

My fuel light comes on at 200 miles and starts counting down from like 40 miles to empty, so I figure it is assuming 1 gallon left in the tank. When I fill up, it takes right at 5 gallons (I fill up right after the light comes on), which accounts for at least 6 gallons. If there is wasted space in my tank from filling it on the jiffy stand, it ain't much.

Regardless, a 200 mile range is pretty decent for a motorcycle and I have never really been in a situation where I needed more; wanted more maybe, but never needed it. There is no way I can sit on a bike for 3 hours straight anyway and am usually looking pretty forward to a fill up long before my fuel light comes on.

P.S.
I don't pay too much attention to the fuel gauge. My trip meter is much more accurate.

Last edited by keith_stepp; 05-18-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:46 PM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member

If I fill up immediately after the indicator light comes on it takes 5 gallons, on the jiffy stand.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:54 PM
NMNSG08
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine usually takes 4.5 gallons when the light comes on.

Quick Reply: 6 Gallon Tank Questions