Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack Amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:56 AM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tour Pack Amplifier

Greetings all, I was thinking of getting the HD Advanced Audio High-Output Sound System Kit / PN 76418-06A. I already have the Hog Hunes Speakers and Amp for speakers in the lower faring (sub woofers), front main, tweeters and the HD rear (BOOM! AUDIO™ HIGH PERFORMANCE Speakers). With all that said, I was thinking of adding the audio system as listed above (this is the one that comes with the CVO model). Does anyone have this set up or one similar? Is it worth the time and money? Will there be anything more that I will need to do / upgrade?
Thanks for the tips!!
Dwayne

Old 05-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

A good friend installed one on his '06 Ultra w/ Hogtunes speakers f/r and is very happy with it. It should come with the harness; if you buy one used without the harness it'd be a pita to fab your own--the harness can be purchased separately for about $80.

You should probably contact PEZ at Hogtunes and ask about his new four-channel 160 watt (4X40) amp.

What bike are you putting the amp on? I ask because if you have a RG you could use the ARC 4-channel amp mounted inside the fairing.

Carl

Old 05-18-2010, 12:00 PM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer

The bike I am putting it on is a 2009 Ultra Classic. By the way, I have a 300W sub in the tour pack made by a company called SPX Audio. I took the bike to the dealer, who ran an audio (line level out) and power line from the Hog Tunes install back to the tour pack. The SPX Audio sub has a line level input as well as a 300 Watt amp in the sub woofer housing. The sub really sounds good, but I can not hear it with the tour pack closed. To hear it, I would have to cut a hole in the tour pack. I just haven't been able to make that step. Something about cutting holes in the tour pack seems un-natural to me. I was hoping that the extra amp would provide the front main and rear with extra wattage to really hear the systen at highway speeds.
Thanks, Dwayne

Old 05-18-2010, 01:53 PM
deadhead111469
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF.....I know this is gonna be received as a smartassed answer......but why didn't you just buy a d@mn convertible car?

Old 05-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

d.a, if your front fairing and tour pak speakers are powered only by the HK head unit, the amp you are considering will help. On the other hand, if you want a rolling boom box, you should probably be considering automotive type amps mounted in the tour pak/saddlebags. A few guys have done that here.

Carl

Old 05-18-2010, 02:43 PM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer

I did one better, I spoke with PEZ from hogtunes and came up with a simple solution. The service at the HD dealer was going to have to do a lot or wiring etc, which would mean a lot of labor time. PZ and I came up with the option of replacing my current hogtunes amp that just runs the lowers, and going with a 4 channel amp from the "big ultra" kit. That way I will get the extra power I want, reduce the labor cost, and NOT have to do any speaker or harness upgrades. I can continue to have the removable sub in the tour pack, which has it's own power supply and amp, using only a line level input from the main.
Dealer did not anticipate this curve ball, which is better than the harley tour pack amp, and costs less in terms of cost and labor. With the previous set up, all, I am doing is upgrading the ground and power wires to heavier guage, and keeping everything else the same. Dealer thinks this will catch on, and they will never sell the HD amp again.
Dwayne