Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My hands kill me

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I found that replacing the grips I had, which were quite think, to a thinner grip, took care of the problem. I think the smaller grip allowed me not to squeeze them so hard like MadIrish said.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Fathead2003
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by woodeyewetzel
Can anyone tell me if they have changed their handle bars on a 09 Screaming Eagle Ultra. My hands go to sleep after only a few miles.
I put on fat leather grips and the numbness is a thing of the past. Check out www.coolsac.com I got the cruise control black on black braided grips. They have an easy to reach throttle adjustment chrome nut. When your cruising the interstate add some tension and your hand works less.
My shoulder still get's tight on the long haul but that's what the wife is on the back for.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Magos
Tourer

Riding posture does make a difference with that too but one thing I did to help is loosen up the bars and pulled them back a little bit. Maybe I can use your SE for this season and see if it does it to me muah ha!

Old 05-18-2010, 03:54 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I opted for longer pullback bars for my shoulder problems and I second the gloves GMC put the address up for. I have the gauntlets and the knuckle gloves from QWI, real pain changers on my carpal tunnel!!

Old 05-18-2010, 06:37 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by audettd
Sounds like position of your shoulders more then your hands/wrist. Blood has to come thru your shoulders and usually this is a symptom that your not sitting correctly. I myself don't have any issues with my 09 EGC...but sometimes during long runs I will remove my hand from the bars and just stretch and move my shoulders around. Hope you find your solution.
This is most likely your problem. One solution is to get some 2" reach bars. They will change the position of your reach.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a thought , but I had somewhat the same thing on my 09 Ultra.
The stock grips were 1.4" diameter and my hands were always falling asleep.
I went with Kuryakyn ISO grips with the throttle boss and they seem much better for comfort.
They are larger , softer , and seem to absorb the vibes a bit better than stock.
I also find that I don't feel the need to hold on as tight to the Kury grips.
I'd say they improved the numbness about 80% for me.
I'm getting osteo arthritis in my hands and it helped me to go longer miles pain free.
Mick

Old 05-18-2010, 08:28 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Do you wear gloves? A gel-palmed glove will help, but the big thing is to make sure that your fingertips aren't scrunched into the ends of them.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:46 PM
1sharprdkg
Advanced

Originally Posted by MadIrish
Consider how tightly you are choking the grips, too. I find myself squeezing the heck out of my stock grips and have to constantly remind myself to loosen up a bit. The answer for me will be the new larger diameter grips I will be putting on.
Me too! Every time my hands start hurting, I think hey quit trying to squeeze the bars into. Mostly shows up when it is raining or there's a lot of traffic or when it's been a bad day or week!

Old 05-19-2010, 08:32 AM
audettd
Tourer

Guys if your hands are hurting while driving most likely you're holding the grips to tight..but if your fingers are falling asleep..then you're cutting off the circulation to your hands....changing grips won't help with that. Having the grips in reasonable reach is probably key and having elbows slightly bent (not extended). I too get hand fatigue from holding grips to tight on long rides....nothing a quick shake of the fingers won't cure though..but fingers falling asleep is NOT good

Old 05-19-2010, 08:42 AM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have carpal tunnel from wrenching 25+ years as well bursitis of both shoulders, Wild 1 RKII bars and Qwi gloves have cured my ills with OE grips. Get the reach shortened and pad the hands, you will appreciate the difference.

Quick Reply: My hands kill me