Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins vs. Stocker Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:34 AM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ohlins vs. Stocker Shocks

I know this has been well covered before, but I am feeling like I might have to call Howard and get some Ohlins. Before I do make a decision: two things.

Tell me how significantly improved the ride is compared to stock shocks. I'd like to know if they are need to haves, must haves, nice to haves - you get the idea. Tell me specifically what you like about the Ohilins.

And...

Compared to your 12 or 13 inch stockers please help me out with a rating.

1 - No difference - ride the stockers
2 - Little difference
3 - Underwhelmed
4 - Okay but not great
5 - Average but expensive
6 - Above average difference but kind of worth the price
7 - Real good ride but compare with other products
8 - Solid B, great ride, hoping for just a little bit more
9 - We are in A to A- range - significant difference very happy - worth the price
10 - Atrain, just call Howard. The Ohlins are a day/night difference. Don't be an idiot. Find the money and spend it on a new set of Ohlins.

Thanks!

Old 05-19-2010, 02:07 PM
09wideswing
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was all ready to order the ohlins 'till i read their explanation of what to expect in your ride. here is the quote -

Suspension Setup
"Unfortunately there is no literature that can give you the perfect setup for your Harley. Suspension setup is individually dependent on the rider (style, preference) and road conditions, which vary from the surface and climate. We can therefore only try to give you guidelines and ground rules for the setup of your motorcycle. Everyone is different in their perception of how their bike should ride. Think 1966 Lincoln TC v/s the latest model top Mercedes-Benz. If you wish to let your bike to glide like a 1966 Lincoln T/C
than you should stop reading and look for a different style of shock other than a racing type."

makes me wonder how many ultra riders consider themselves in need of a "racing type" shock? ag

Old 05-19-2010, 02:28 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know it's subjective, but that's why I asked for a ranking. Without trying the shocks I am trying to figure out how different the ride is. Is the difference day and night, or real subtle?

I am looking for a soft long range touring ride with the benefit of adjusting to performance when I want.

I am going to call Howard and the Ricor guys this week to discuss, but comments are certainly welcome.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:47 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I love, 9+, my Ohlins from Howard but as a former racer I understood what going Ohlins brings to the plate. Performance, not comfort. But if you choose his version #3 in the 13 1/4" you may be satisfied in both 2 up comfort and solo performance. Don't buy version #2 as that is what I have and there is no damping adjustments and preload is difficult at best. If you want an out of the box shock that you can bolt on and will work great all around with no adjustments look else where, like what 09wideswing posted they are not for everyone. Oh I put 13 1/4" on my 08 FLHX, couldn't stand the scraping!!!

Last edited by qtrracer; 05-19-2010 at 06:15 PM. Reason: took out a word that made no sense
Old 05-19-2010, 06:02 PM
Gordon65
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went with the progressive 440's for that very reason. I'm not looking for the ultimate shock, as i am not a knee dragger, just something better than the stock ones. Also helped that progressive is giving away a set of fork springs with purchase.

I would've went with the 940's, but i didn't want to loose that inch of clearance (09 ultra).

They just arrived today, so hopefully i will get them on in the next couple of days.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:21 PM
holtzd1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 - Atrain, just call Howard.

10 - Atrain, just call Howard. The Ohlins are a day/night difference. Don't be an idiot. Find the money and spend it on a new set of Ohlins.

#3 13 1/4 here... Way more comfortable two up. "Sporty" riding solo. We never get that "jolt" from bottoming we used to get with stock shocks. Most importantly, the wife is much more comfortable and loves the ride.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:35 PM
onedae
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried lots of shocks over the years - Progressives, Works, and most recently for my 2010 Streetglide, the Ohlins #2-#3's from Howard at Motorcycle Metal . On your scale I would rate them a 3 - underwhelmed - and at $520, definitely not worth the $. If you are a canyon racer type and your priority is control at speed, they may be the right shocks for you. But I wanted a plush ride, primarily for touring and did not want stiff, sport tuned shocks. The Ohlins were very harsh, particularly on freeways, and didn't meet my needs at all. Now the Ohlins #3's may be better, but at $750 that's pretty expensive
After a lot of research, I just ordered a set of Ricor's. No real downside with their no BS money back guarantee. I'm looking forward to getting them in a few weeks and feel pretty good after talking to Brian that they will give me the ride I want.
Just a heads up if you do decide to go with the Ohlins, give some thought to where you buy them. Howard is fine if everything works smoothly, BUT, if you have a problem, he gets defensive and difficult. I would never do business with him again at any price.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:45 PM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Let us know how you like the Rocor's. I've got a set of Works Steeltrackers that actually work pretty well. Ten times better than the stock shorty airshocks which are junk in my opinion.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:51 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Ohlins were never an option. I've got the sport-tuned Ricors, and I'm very pleased with what they do. For a straight-up touring shock, consider their "cruiser" tune, but even with the sport, my wife and I rode 1,000 miles last weekend with no complaints.

Ricor offers respringing and revalving, as well as a money-back satisfaction guarantee. It's a no-lose proposition.

Last edited by '05Train; 03-30-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:32 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have been agonizing over the decision of upgrading to Ohlin shocks but shelling out $640. for a non-adjustable shock and $914. for an adjustable shock is quite frankly shocking. I think I will be watching this thread very closely.

Quick Reply: Ohlins vs. Stocker Shocks