Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins vs. Stocker Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:05 PM
sh57
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have #3 Ohlins from Howard. I had howard set it up for mostly 2 up riding.
When I first got them, I would say I was a little disappointed. 2 up was better than stock, solo was harsh. One day I decided to call howard and low and behold as usual i installed them my without bothering to read the directions. Imagine that. After reading the setup directions, I in short order got them dialed in and am very happy with both two up and solo riding. I don't want to say they are a must have, but I would recomend them to anybody. Better ride, better handling, no more messing with the air in the junk shocks that come with the bike. On top of that you can call howard at any time and he is more than willing to explain everything you need to know to get your bike set up the way you want it. JMO

Old 05-19-2010, 10:23 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the #2-3 and disagree with previous impressions of this model. I'm ride only solo and find the ride comfort and control a 10 on a scale of 10. I have no need for damping adjustment since it is perfect for me even when the bike is loaded for touring, and I have yet to feel the need to adjust preload. I weigh 170# and I can't speak for two-up performance, especially heavy riders, but compared to stock 12" SG shocks and 12½" Progressive 440's these Ohlins are far superior for my requirements.

Based on my riding style I would rank them a 10 on your scale. BTW, mention HDForums and Howard should give you a good discount, or at least he did last September when I bought mine. My #2-3's were $516 shipped.

Last edited by iclick; 05-19-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:12 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by onedae
I've tried lots of shocks over the years - Progressives, Works, and most recently for my 2010 Streetglide, the Ohlins #2-#3's from Howard at Motorcycle Metal . On your scale I would rate them a 3 - underwhelmed - and at $520, definitely not worth the $. If you are a canyon racer type and your priority is control at speed, they may be the right shocks for you. But I wanted a plush ride, primarily for touring and did not want stiff, sport tuned shocks. The Ohlins were very harsh, particularly on freeways, and didn't meet my needs at all. Now the Ohlins #3's may be better, but at $750 that's pretty expensive
After a lot of research, I just ordered a set of Ricor's. No real downside with their no BS money back guarantee. I'm looking forward to getting them in a few weeks and feel pretty good after talking to Brian that they will give me the ride I want.
Just a heads up if you do decide to go with the Ohlins, give some thought to where you buy them. Howard is fine if everything works smoothly, BUT, if you have a problem, he gets defensive and difficult. I would never do business with him again at any price.
Let us give a little background to this post. When Dave (onedae) called initially, he explained his wants and desires in suspension. I replied to him after listening in depth, that he needed a #3~#3 to fulfill his expectations and needs. Dave did not take the recommendations I gave him on more than two occasions and places his order for the #2~#3.

Dave telephones back concerned about his ride and I ask him to perform a test to determine if he is bottoming out due to too light of a spring. He indicated that he had not. He was using up almost his whole travel. He claims his ride is too stiff and yet his spring is too light, how can that be?

Long story short I told Dave to send the shocks back to me for evaluation to see if the shocks are performing properly. I have sold over 300 sets with a variation of this formula with excellent results. This is an example of a guy who wishes to place blame and responsibility on someone else other than himself.

As far as Dave being able to evaluate shock performance, much less pricing is far beyond his abilities, knowledge, or experience. Dave chose not to send back he shocks and Dave is very condescending in his e-Mails. He signed a simple contract and consciously chose not to abide by it. Dave, you are not buying a shirt and Öhlins produces the absolute best suspension available in the world. Anyone can read it as it is listed on my Öhlins Order form on my site. Dave, if you wish to dispute any or all of these facts, I will post the PDF letter I sent to you with my response. Conduct yourself like a man and abide by your word you gave me and I most assuredly abide by my word like I wrote you.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:43 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
As far as Dave being able to evaluate shock performance, much less pricing is far beyond his abilities, knowledge, or experience. Dave chose not to send back he shocks and Dave is very condescending in his e-Mails. He signed a simple contract and consciously chose not to abide by it. Dave, you are not buying a shirt and Öhlins produces the absolute best suspension available in the world. Anyone can read it as it is listed on my Öhlins Order form on my site. Dave, if you wish to dispute any or all of these facts, I will post the PDF letter I sent to you with my response. Conduct yourself like a man and abide by your word you gave me and I most assuredly abide by my word like I wrote you.
Exactly what Dave said would happen if anyone dares to disagree with you Howard.

Edited to add - Sort of like this post where you called me a liar and told me you didn't need my business. Which is why I spent $900 on my suspension with another company.

Last edited by '05Train; 05-20-2010 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:56 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,371 Likes on 22,644 Posts

I have pretty much decided to go with the Ricor's when I can afford them.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:16 AM
Kilo6
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have Ohlins from Howard and they are far superior to the original shocks. They make a world of difference when pushing the bike in the corners. If you're willing to read a little and learn how to get the most out of the shocks then Ohlins are worth it. If you're a Plug and Play type guy then go with something less costly and easier to manipulate.

Oh yeah, I saw this on the RG Forum.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 05-20-2010, 06:20 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I have the #2-#3's. I am very happy with them, but I was happy with the stock shocks. It was my wife's complaining that made me want to upgrade. Now that I have them, I would hate to go back to stock shocks. I didn't know what I was missing.

I rate them #9 on the op's scale. They are great, but not a must have for me.
My wife would say #10.

Dennis

Old 05-20-2010, 06:43 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Exactly what Dave said would happen if anyone dares to disagree with you Howard.

Edited to add - Sort of like this post where you called me a liar and told me you didn't need my business. Which is why I spent $900 on my suspension with another company.
If you read this guys post very carefully, he made up statements that supposedly I said. He totally fabricated his story, in some circles that would be construed as a liar. I tell it like it is and call a duck a duck. By reading more of your postings, you are a potential customer I would wish to avoid, I am very happy you purchased suspension form another company, you can bet on that. I guess a contract any a persons word is something that can be changed at will, just not with me. People with no honor is something I wish to steer clear of. That means liars like you.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:52 AM
blackpearl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yellow or black ,they are black

Old 05-20-2010, 07:27 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
If you read this guys post very carefully, he made up statements that supposedly I said. He totally fabricated his story, in some circles that would be construed as a liar. I tell it like it is and call a duck a duck. By reading more of your postings, you are a potential customer I would wish to avoid, I am very happy you purchased suspension form another company, you can bet on that. I guess a contract any a persons word is something that can be changed at will, just not with me. People with no honor is something I wish to steer clear of. That means liars like you.
Class act as always Howard.

Quick Reply: Ohlins vs. Stocker Shocks