Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tour pack help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:27 PM
jb27
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended up going with the HD chopped TP. I debated between the King vs Chopped and decided to go with the Chopped. I have it mounted in the solo position, so I wanted it a little lower. Plus, i like the looks of the chopped on the SG. For me, it has plenty of storage space. Like the others are saying, you will probably use it more than you think. It's great for running errands.

I got all my stuff from Lakeshore HD. Like you, I already had the 4-pt mounting hardware on the bike. I ordered:

Chopped Tour Pak
Chopped Tour Pak Backrest
Premium Hinges
Keyed Lock Kit
Tour Pak Liner
Solo Mounting Kit

Good Luck with your decision!!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

Rizzini, I hear ya' loud and clear. I debated for months about what to do with my '08 StreetGlide. I'm a picky, finicky s.o.b. (aka:****-retentive) when it comes to my bike (and everything thing else I own too), and I just couldn't decide. But I finally told myself that if I didn't get the oem unit, then I would regret it every time I looked at whatever I bought instead (see a pattern here yet?).

But I knew I didn't like the looks of the king pak, and the razor pak was way too small. So I bit the bullet and ordered the chopped pak from Chicago HD. They're within driving distance, so I ordered it and got the standard 20% discount, that they offer to everyone. I just hated to spend so much money on something that I knew I was only going to use a few times a year. Oh well, it's only money, right?

I also opted for the two-up, detachable kit, and of course the lock (comes w/two new keys, matched to your bike!). But no way was I going to spend a c-note on the "antenna relocate" kit. I have the resources and ability to make a damn bracket out of stainless steel. And, I couldn't decide on which backrest I wanted either. I never have a passenge with me, so I'm not worried about their comfort. I only got the two-up kit because I'm tall and didn't want it sitting close to me. In fact, I'd wouldn't get a backrest at all if you could get the factory to not drill the mounting holes.

It ended up coming in, in two weeks instead of six-eight... woo-hoo! I installed it, the day it came in. I realized the potential of it's use very quickly. Now remember, I told myself I would only use it a few times a year. It's been on my bike ever since I installed it. I've never taken it off. I absolutely love it, and thoroughly enjoy all the benefits of having it back there. It's probably the single best thing I've done to the bike. It's so nice having the extra room to go shopping, and still carry all the stuff you could need for sudden, foul weather. Actually... I see no need to take it off now. I'm too use to having it on there.

Oh yeah... after I decided to leave the pak on all the time, I finally did some research and decided to delete the antenna altogether. I went with a hidden one in the fairing for...$22. I still haven't found a small backrest that only covers the factory mounting holes, so I'll probably get someone to custom make what I want (translation:****-retentive characteristic kicking in). I liked it so much, I also bought a set of chrome oem saddlebag latch covers for the bags, so they'd better match the tour-pak.

Here's what it looked like when I first installed it, you be the judge. If you have any questions or need more info, don't hesitate to ask. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Wanna Ride; 05-18-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

If you are serious about not having a tour pak on your bike except occasionally, consider the Mutazu tour pak for under $200 ($110 in vivid black) with backrest and key. It holds about 80% of what an HD King Tour pak holds, and it's a lot easier seeing it sitting in the garage, off the bike, than the $700 or so you will spend for the HD KTP:

http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?cat_id=1&menu=DMY Trunk Series&s=prod.php

I've had mine for 4+ years on an HD solo detachable tp rack and it's an excellent value if you don't need a luggage rack to carry heavy weight in addition to what goes in the tour pak:

http://

I also have an HD Ultra tour pak (minus the speaker pods) on a two-up detachable rack only because when I repainted the bike a year ago I thought I "might" want another Ultra KTP (having sold a previous Ultra KTP when the bike was white after getting tired of seeing it sitting in the garage) and figured I'd better get the new tour pak painted with the bike:

http://

Primarily for appearance, I strongly prefer my bike NOT to have a tour pak on it unless needed for errands or a trip. And the bike handles better when riding twistys w/o the tour pak hanging off the back of the bike. But it's easy to become addicted to the storage space when the tp is left on the bike, so I always remove it after completing errands or returning from a trip.

Good luck with your research and your choice.

Carl

PS: If you shop and are patient you can save money. My Ultra KTP was, before painting: (1) a brand new, in thd box, black pearl Ultra KTP bottom purchased for $300; and, (2) brand new yellow pearl lid with new HD smooth backrest purchased for $150.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 05-18-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by K00LJerk
I went with the leather look Road King tour pack color is not an issue its black, check the sig pic. I didn't want the look of an Ultra YMMV
+1 So did I and I am very happy with it.