Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ego hit - I dropped the bike!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Poolie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ego hit - I dropped the bike!

Took the bride away for the weekend and on the trip home Sunday morning stopped for breakfast at a popular bike spot in the country. Had a great breakfast and a chat with a few of the other riders (there were probably 30 bikes nearby). The King was at a 45deg angle, rear in and facing slightly up hill. The road edge was sealed but had loose gravel.

So, Jen hops on first (the tour pak makes it impossible for her to swing a leg over if I am alreay onboard) and I slide on next. Start her up, lift the side stand and have to hold the front brake while I release the clutch to stop her rolling back. Start rolling straight ahead, turn head (and bars) to the right to turn right on to the road, see a car come around the corner but still some way away, hesitate, touch front brake without thinking and BAM, bike drops on her side. I just stepped off but Jen did the big slide off the seat and ended up taking a very ungracious roll on the road.

No damage to either Jen or the King (love those engine and bag bars!!) but major damage to my ego.

Positives - No damage to the King, I learnt I can get her up on her feet easily, I'm pretty sure there were no cameras around.

Lessons learnt - 1. Once I'm rolling (and turning) don't cover the front brake. 2.When in that sort of parking situation better to go straight up the road and do a U-turn. 3. Move to a better spot before loading a pillion on. 4. I'm not as good as I'd like to think I am and I need to practice & think ahead more.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey, it happens to everyone eventually, Dropped mine 1 week after getting it, grabbed the front brake in the soft stuff and down i went...i knew better but instinct got me in trouble, pick it up, check it out and move on..glad things didnt get hurt, specially the wife!!

Old 05-17-2010, 07:25 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Been there..Done that, not on the Harley but on a GoldWing. I used the front brake on a slow U-turn and it sucked me down in the well.

It ruins a good day in a hurry. We need to start a "I laid mine Down" club. I bet there would be lots of members!

Old 05-17-2010, 07:25 PM
sh57
Elite HDF Member

welcome to the club.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:26 PM
dlrshort
Road Captain

Glad no one was hurt (except the ego). I dropped mine last week putting it on a trailer-lost my footing. Scratched the fairing and the lower on the left side. Parts on order. PIA!! It just makes you humble and brings you back to the realization that accidents happen and we've got to be really careful out there.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:29 PM
1sharprdkg
Advanced

Glad all is OK! That front brake will throw you down every time... Oh and my buddy found out a plastic Subway sandwich bag will do the same thing!

Old 05-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Join the ranks. At that angle and appraoch the bike will go down quicker than you can react. I dropped an Ultra the same way.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Kramer
Cruiser

I know this may be against normal opinions, but I hardly ever use my front brake anymore b/c of this happening to me. These days i only use it when I stopping at a light for example...when I am only pointed straight ahead.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:34 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey that front brakes a doosie. It just about put me down a few weeks ago going to a stop sign, front wheel went in a dip, turned and the forward motion made me hit the brake harder. Luckily I was able to put my foot down and catch it before the full spill. Luckily it was at night and dark and no one saw me. Anyhow my pride still took a hit. It just makes you feel kinda dumb no matter who sees or not.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:36 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

No biggie as long as nobody gets hurt. These touring bikes are HEAVY!

I've dropped mine 5 times at or barely above 0 mph(gravel drive and landscape timber ramp into the shop). No damage to bike or rider. Once, I was leaving my son's house with my wife on board. We came to the end of the driveway and I had to slow down because a car was coming. Then we had to go down the curb and turn left. I was going too slow and when I turned, it stopped and laid over. Now when leaving his house I slow down well before the end of the driveway if there are cars coming. Live and learn.

Quick Reply: Ego hit - I dropped the bike!