Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ego hit - I dropped the bike!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:59 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If there was a club for folks that have done the same sort of thing most everyone would belong.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:48 AM
StanfordMan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dropped my Street Glide while trying to maneuver around a gas pump island to get to the other side. I'm not even sure what I did wrong; but the bike got leaning to far, and that was it. Luckily, no damage and no injury.

The funny thing is that just before my buddy and I pulled into the gas station, we were at a redlight just finishing a great ride. I commented to him that I'm really getting comfortable with this bike, and getting much more confident riding it at all speeds and road conditions. Wow, were those words the kiss of death.

Lesson learned: You always have to stay focused and think about what you are doing when you are on your bike.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:30 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not always successful but I try to avoid those kind of parking situations.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:43 AM
jlfabian
Tourer

Dropped my Road King within the first week of ownership. Didn't even have an excuse like I was drunk. Just pointed the wrong way while turning the bike around in my driveway - it's a fairly steep driveway on a hill. Fortunately, the engine guard and bag guard worked perfectly as I was able to keep it from going all the way to the handlebars. 774 lbs with a full gas tank... once it gets to a certain point there's no recovery. Only major damage was to my pride and a couple of small scratches to the guards.

jl

Old 05-18-2010, 11:49 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I came really close 2 times a few weeks ago. Went to the top of a hill in the backroads and it just ended while I was on a 30 degree incline. I had to back down a gravel road and turn to the left on my 1990 FLHTCU. This was the 2nd time I had ever ridden the bike. I just touched the front brake and the bike started to fall over. It took every shred of power I could muster and alot of luck to keep the bike from falling over. After I recovered I attemped a turn onto a tight dirt covered paved road. I was rolling but I cut the front wheel a little too much for the speed I was going and the bike almost went over again. I just gave it a little more throttle and looked in the direction I wanted to go and luckily I made it off the hill. Scarey times. That Ultra is one heavy ***** under 5mph.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:51 AM
SecondChance!!
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harley-jones
Been there..Done that, not on the Harley but on a GoldWing. I used the front brake on a slow U-turn and it sucked me down in the well.

It ruins a good day in a hurry. We need to start a "I laid mine Down" club. I bet there would be lots of members!
I am a firm member of that club as well. Once in the middle of the day at a stop light going to a dealer on a busy road. Stopped the bike, road has a SLIGHT incline to the right, bike leaning left. Wife on back. Start to leave, lift feet, bike starts to roll towards the center median, like a DA, I grab front brake and over it goes!!!! I try to hold it up, can't. Wife hops off, I get my left leg pinned under bike trying to hold it up off her. I come free, bike is loaded for weekend at bike rally. We get bike back up, slight scratches on engine guards and bag guards. My A$$ never recovers from the tongue and attitude onslaught that incures thereafter!!!!!! She is VERY hestitant at that place now.

And if HDF were to begin that kind of club here on the computer, they would have to increase their GB up to heights never heard of before!!!!!

Last edited by SecondChance!!; 05-20-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Sven75
4th Gear
Default My Drop

Dropped my '02 Deuce at the advanced riders course. Kicker was that I was doing an exercise that was "optional". Prior to dropping it the instructor was telling all the rocket riders to watch me because I was the only one who could complete the exercise! Fortunately the bike went over real slow and I was able to cushion it with my body.......

Old 05-18-2010, 01:41 PM
rklew
Cruiser

Dropped my Deluxe in the driveway once stopped. BSing and never put the stand down. Lucky it was in slow motion and no damage.

Dropped my RK once when bike rolled forward before the stand was locked in. No damage thanks to the engine guards and bag guards.

I never use my front brake below 5-10 mph, I know if you screw-up and hit it hard you will go down faster then sh**.

If you are turning at slow speed, ride the back brake and the bike with stand up no problem, don't ever put you hand on the front.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:48 PM
skyhawk85u
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I learned long ago that there are 2 types of bikers: those who have dropped their bike, and those who will. I just bought my first Harley, a 2006 Electra Glide Classic, a couple weeks ago. It's about 250 lbs heavier than the Yamaha V-Star I was riding. I haven't dropped it yet but I've come close - I'm still getting used to all that extra weight. Funny thing is that once it's moving it's MUCH more stable than the V-Star was. I don't think I ever dropped the V-Star but my Suzuki GS850L before that was on the ground a couple times.

Important note - if you just got your first EG and still aren't used to the weight, it's probably NOT a good idea to be tailgunner on a group ride and block roads. I had a few awkward moments this past Sunday.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:54 PM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did drop a few bikes. I dropped a Sportster twice. Once I had to pull over to relieve myself QUICKLY and I forgot to put the kickstand down. Bike fell over and I left it on the side of the road until I got back.
Second time I was working on it in the garage tightening up a new stretched tank I had painted for it and I pushed too hard and it fell over brake side and broke the brake lever off.
3rd time I was on my 2001 Honda Valkyrie with my wife leaving my buddies house. I was making a super low speed u turn in front of his driveway and I just tapped the front brake and the bike fell over on the clutch side. No damage at all because of the engine guards but was my wife pissed. It was an awesome bike but too big for a 5'8" dude like me and not enough like a motorcycle.
I am always in learning mode. I can't wait until I am actually a good rider. You would think that about 25,000 miles would be a good start and I guess it is. Maybe I will learn something in the next 25,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Ego hit - I dropped the bike!