Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ego hit - I dropped the bike!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:31 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

As they say, " been there, done that". So long as ya learned something from your mistakes, all is good.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Friend of mine pulled up to park in a dark area not realizing it was a huge drainage culvert. He stopped and put his foot down and found no ground. The bike went down and he tumbled into the drain. He quickly tried to get back on his feet but the grade was so steep he took a header deeper into the drain. It was funny as hell, but I bit my lip until he was ready to laugh about it. The spill snapped off a mirror which he replaced with a used part, otherwise no damage to the bike.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:11 PM
JackD
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Went to a friends archery shop to BS!! Gravel lot! Backed in downhill on the Heritage! Left foot started sliding out ..bike is running(Not smart enuff to hit the kill!) Pulled in the clutch so hard with my finger in between it and the grip I smashed my nail blue!! Upside!! Nobody saw me! Bike only went down far enuff to flip up the floorboard!! ****! that hurt tho!! SG is yet to come!!!!

Old 05-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the club, members joining daily.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:28 PM
chek
Intermediate

We all drop our bike sooner or later, and usually when doing two or three mph!
Most vulnerable time: riding double, tired after a long day, panic stop at slow speeds because I was not entering traffic carefully and a cage catches me offguard.
Also done it because I didn't make sure the kick stand was weighed and locked before releasing the brakes; bike rolls ahead, and before you know what hit you, you're on the crash bar corners. Once it starts going over at slow or no speed, you don't bring it back.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:32 PM
snowmass
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good thread! Three years and 10K on the softail and never went down. But the wife wanted a more comfortable ride.
The first time she rode on the new EGlide we were entering a parking lot, slow right turn on rocky uneven pavement, had to slow some more, and I was probably looking down because suddenly I had to put the right foot down. The problem - no pavement there, just a hole where my foot needed to be. sh*t. Nobody hurt, but the worst of it is that a smiling BMW rider was right there to give me a hand with it. Lessons learned - head and eyes up, sit a little lower, and stay humble.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:17 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Twice in my riding career. Both times on the same day, but in two different states. Both times i just tapped the front brake while in a slow right hand turn and went down. The lean angle on a 2010 road glide is close to 90 degrees.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:42 AM
audettd
Tourer

Happens to the best of us eventually(I never thought that before owning a Harley)...never had dropped my bike in my life. Came close a few times but I was able to hold up the weight..there's no way with a bike this big. Glad things turned out ok and everyone was safe. There should be a law that if somone falls over on their bike everyone should have to turn away like nothing happened (would help with ego's).

Old 05-18-2010, 09:52 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I"m part of this crowd.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:56 AM
steak guy
Advanced

In the driveway, tilt the bike thinking the Baroness could climb on a bit easier. The little thing steps on and whaddaya know over it goes. Too early for any of the neighbours to be out to laugh, and wifey looking at me with the WTF expression. Yeesh!

Quick Reply: Ego hit - I dropped the bike!