Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Other side of the coin...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:31 PM
pburghdguy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike upgrade

Traded '94 Heritage for 2010 EGC,WoW what a difference in the ride! This bike is super smooth to handle + plug in the ipod can make you forget how long you've been riding! I do miss my ape hangers a little,maybe they're the next add-on!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:57 PM
brockstwrt
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TCannon22
I think the handling question was probably the biggest for me. I come from a sportbike background and love some twistie roads. It was a huge drop off in the handling of my R1 to the Fatboy, but it made up for it in comfort. Now that I am used to the handling of the Fatboy, I was just a little worried in taking another giant loss in the handling department.
From everything you guys have said, I don't think it will end up being much of an issue and even if it is, there will be even more comforts to offset what I may or may not lose.
I have actually got a deal working right now with a guy to buy the fattie, so I will keep you posted on the progress of moving to the touring side...
On a side note...
Since I will probably be shopping for a new glide pretty quick, any pointers in "must have" options?
Cruise control is a no brainer and ABS seems like a good idea, but I don't think that will be a deal breaker either way.
Any factory installed extras or options that I should look in to?
As far as handling goes my road king can carve anything my vrod could. I don't miss a "smaller" bike in the twisties. I wish I would've gotten security on my king. The vrod had the key fob that had to be within x feet to start the bike so I never locked the ignition, didn't know what I had till it was gone. I didn't get abs because they didn't have it on this bike, wouldn't be a deal breaker for me one way or the other. I'll never own another bike that's not from the touring family.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:13 PM
bluegrassboy
Tourer

My Ultra Limited Handles better than my 03' Fatboy....was hesitant to go to a bagger due to my perceived idea that it would be cumbersome to handle around town ....boy was I wrong.....it's very nimble and actually leans further in turns before scraping than my fatboy, there is nothing I don't like about this bike....oh....yeah....if you have a driver backrest you have to figure out how you need to mount (throw your leg over).......I'm not very flexible so it was tricky at first.....once it's rolling and the tunes are blasting......it's heaven........get out on the road and light the 6 on the speedo and enjoy......

Old 05-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Last May I went into my local HD dealer with my heart set on a Heritage. I had always love the look. Rented on for the weekend still liked it.

The problem was I'm a slow buyer. I was in the harley shop everyday for three weeks and drove the salesman I was dealing with crazy. I lost faith in the salesman I was dealing with and went to the sales manager. Talked it over and he put me with a differrent salesman.

The first question the new (Older) salesman asked was what kind of riding was I planning to do. My answer, everything, long range, short range, back and forth to work and so on. I made a oath to myself that the bike would not be a garage queen.

The saleman told me I didn't describe a Heritage. I described a touring bike. I hadn't even considered a touring bike.

He took me over to a Black Road King and had me get on it. Had me stand it up and then he walked around me looking me and the bike up and down. He looked at me a stated it a perfect fit. He call service and had the prep a Road King Rental for a test ride.

The rest is history, $16,900.00 out the door with a security system, 4 point docking system sissy bar and pad. Which was a bunch cheaper than the Heritage.

As you can see by my sig there has been a few changes to the bike.

Thanks to a good salesman, there arn't many of them.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:02 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a reason you don't yet have 10k miles on a 7 year old bike. Come on over, you won't regret it.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:58 PM
JackD
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Wll I'll chime in here! Wanted a Harley for over 40 years ! Got it in 06 ! Heritage! Everything I wanted! Only thing it had no storage for trips! So we had a luggage rack and a small tour bag! Not enuff for overniters and if ya buy stuff!!! So.. We started looking at baggers! Hardbags! Not the leather kind! Loved the looks of the SG in 07, almost traded for one then! Then they came out with the SG in Red Hot Sun-Glo!! I drooled everytime I saw one! So we took a test ride on a 09 ! It friggen sucked!!! Like riding on a 2X4 !! I could not believe it! So we left all gloomy and stuff! Talked to a couple other dealers! Both said....They had no air in the shocks!! Short story long! Took a ride on another dealer with air!:icon _headbang:! The rest is history! I at times miss the Heritage! It was my first!!! But the SG is a helluva bike! The 96 will walk away from the 88 real quick!! The radio/cd is damn nice! The ride is really superior to the softail! And as you can see in my sig!!! THAT IS JUST ONE SEXY BIOTCH!!!

Old 05-18-2010, 10:41 PM
michaelm
Tourer

When I bought my first Harley in 1990, I chose a Softail Springer. Loved it and put over 32K miles on it. Then I bought a 95 Road King (that one was totaled by a car), replaced that with a 96 RK and then an '02 SE RK. Just traded that in on a '10 SE SG...

When I bought the Springer, my dealer said "Eventually you'll end up with a bagger. Everyone does." Seems to work that way for most I know and certainly for me. The more miles/year, the more a bagger makes sense.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:35 AM
TCannon22
Tourer

Originally Posted by bdp
There is a reason you don't yet have 10k miles on a 7 year old bike. Come on over, you won't regret it.
I guess I should explain I just bought the Fatboy last march and it had 1300 miles on it!!

I put almost 10k on it in a 12 month span, but that was definitely enough time to realize I wanted something more

I really appreciate the info on the differences between the years and the changes that were made. I was talking to a guy that had a pearl white 08 SG for sale, but I think I might start looking harder for an 09.