Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Other side of the coin...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 854 Likes on 296 Posts

I had a 2005 Fat Boy I traded in on my 08 SG. I loved the Fat boy. However not two up for touring. It sucked for that. Since going to the SG though, I have not even had a thought about the Fat Boy I used to love..... I love Music, could not live without the stereo now! These big bikes handle just as good as the Softail does!

Old 05-18-2010, 11:49 AM
TCannon22
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the handling question was probably the biggest for me. I come from a sportbike background and love some twistie roads. It was a huge drop off in the handling of my R1 to the Fatboy, but it made up for it in comfort. Now that I am used to the handling of the Fatboy, I was just a little worried in taking another giant loss in the handling department.
From everything you guys have said, I don't think it will end up being much of an issue and even if it is, there will be even more comforts to offset what I may or may not lose.
I have actually got a deal working right now with a guy to buy the fattie, so I will keep you posted on the progress of moving to the touring side...
On a side note...
Since I will probably be shopping for a new glide pretty quick, any pointers in "must have" options?
Cruise control is a no brainer and ABS seems like a good idea, but I don't think that will be a deal breaker either way.
Any factory installed extras or options that I should look in to?

Old 05-18-2010, 02:15 PM
DukeofEarl
Tourer

Went from a Heritage to the Limited, sold the Heritage and haven't looked back.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:29 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I was going to post on here the other day that I think the best all around bike I have ever owned is my Electra Glide.It's not a real looker,but is a comfortable and reliable ride anytime I am on it.I also have a Springer that is a great bike and easy to look at but for a all around bike it is my EG Standard!!

Old 05-18-2010, 02:47 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I am a big fan of the Fat Boy, but once you add bags and a windshield, it’s just another Bagger Want-to-be.

Beary

Old 05-18-2010, 04:34 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by TCannon22
I guess the really only negative I am hearing from the softail guys is that the glides are too heavy and cumbersome for daily driving and slow speed stop light to stop light duty.
have you ever watched any police motors competitions? the way those guys ride, heavy and cumbersome does not come even close to reality.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:11 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,120 Likes on 22,588 Posts

Originally Posted by TCannon22
I think the handling question was probably the biggest for me. I come from a sportbike background and love some twistie roads. It was a huge drop off in the handling of my R1 to the Fatboy, but it made up for it in comfort. Now that I am used to the handling of the Fatboy, I was just a little worried in taking another giant loss in the handling department.
From everything you guys have said, I don't think it will end up being much of an issue and even if it is, there will be even more comforts to offset what I may or may not lose.
I have actually got a deal working right now with a guy to buy the fattie, so I will keep you posted on the progress of moving to the touring side...
On a side note...
Since I will probably be shopping for a new glide pretty quick, any pointers in "must have" options?
Cruise control is a no brainer and ABS seems like a good idea, but I don't think that will be a deal breaker either way.

If I were you I would look for an 09, barely used, or even new. I have seen several brand new ones on ebay. There is not any on at the moment though. The reason I say this is the 09 was the first year of the new frame, and this is one of the reasons why it as well as all the "glide" bikes have gotten so popular(extremely nice ride) as of late and it was the last year without the "cat in the head pipe". All HD's as of 2010 now have that in the exhaust. With the 09 models, the headpipes are free of the cat and all you have to do is put on slip-ons, a fuel managment system like the PC-V, and a stage 1 AC, and you are way good to go. Also the 10 models do not have a tail light which I don't think is functionally very safe. So to me the 09 is the bike to have as far as the glides are concerned.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Sath
Tourer

When I went from a softail to my SG I was looking for storage,windshield and a radio. The one option my bike had I didn't care for one way or the other was cruise control. After riding with CC I wouldn't have another bike with out it. Its nice to be able to give the throttle hand a rest every now and then. The other options I got was a sundowner seat, 4 point docking staion, detachable back rest, and security. The pipes and engine work came later. If I had it to do all over again I would do it the same way.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:06 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Once you go to a bagger you will never go back. I have been on one now for 7 years and it's the only bike I want. When you get used to a bagger you will find they handle like a dream. I ride mine year round and leave my truck parked.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:14 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,120 Likes on 22,588 Posts

Originally Posted by Sath

When I went from a softail to my SG I was looking for storage,windshield and a radio. The one option my bike had I didn't care for one way or the other was cruise control. After riding with CC I wouldn't have another bike with out it. Its nice to be able to give the throttle hand a rest every now and then. The other options I got was a sundowner seat, 4 point docking staion, detachable back rest, and security. The pipes and engine work came later. If I had it to do all over again I would do it the same way.
How do you like the Wood's 6's Sath? I have those too, just in the process of rounding up the last items that I'll need for the installation. May do it this season, may wait until the fall, it is a stage 1 now with a PC-V and rineharts and ness A/C and it rocks ..

Quick Reply: Other side of the coin...