Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know...another Q about pipes...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010 | 10:53 AM
jacknthebox
|
Road Captain
Default I know...another Q about pipes...

I know sound is subjective, but....I have a 2000 RKC stock motor with stage one and stock headers with V&H Basic slip-ons. I really don't care for the sound - not quite low-toned enough and not enough volume - I am looking for low-tone rumble not obnoxiously loud but just below - also, I am satisfied with the power performance the bike has because I ride pretty gentle and 90% w/o a passenger - I am really just looking for the bike to sound like a Harley should.

So, the question: Do I go with true duels like V&H or Rinehart - Or, is there a decent set of slip-ons that will give me the sound I am looking for?

Thanks for reading yet another question about pipes!

Last edited by jacknthebox; 05-17-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-17-2010 | 11:54 AM
TitoFTW
Road Master

No slip ons will ever give you the sound of true duals.
Since you've already got V&H slip ons you like, I suggest starting by getting V&H dresser duals and just keep your basic slip ons. Then upgrade to other slip ons/mufflers later.

Old 05-17-2010 | 02:53 PM
jacknthebox
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TitoFTW
No slip ons will ever give you the sound of true duals.
Since you've already got V&H slip ons you like, I suggest starting by getting V&H dresser duals and just keep your basic slip ons. Then upgrade to other slip ons/mufflers later.
I thought I might have to go that route - a little more spendy but I just have to get this to sound right - part of the fun of owning a Harley is the incredible sound - the dressers are what I was contemplating too - thanks for the reply.

Old 05-17-2010 | 03:15 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

Take your time... Go to your local bike hang out places, look & listen to other peoples pipes, ask questions, you know people love to talk about their bikes! Thats what I did and I'm glad I did. Pipes are an expensive purchase I wanted to only make once! My

Old 05-17-2010 | 04:20 PM
jacknthebox
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 07FLHT
Take your time... Go to your local bike hang out places, look & listen to other peoples pipes, ask questions, you know people love to talk about their bikes! Thats what I did and I'm glad I did. Pipes are an expensive purchase I wanted to only make once! My
Very good idea - I can listen to what I like and copy it...so simple!