Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Monster ovals, look great, too quiet!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:53 AM
kjkustoms
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy V&H Monster ovals, look great, too quiet!

I finally pulled the trigger, bought the monster ovals, they look great, but...Way too quiet!! Was wondering if anyone has a mod to make these things make more noise? Removing the inner packing? Anything? Dont get me wrong, they look great, lots of compliments, fit and finish is great. First thing people say when they see them is wow they must be loud!! I wish they were.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Seminolebagger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They were designed to be quiet. If you aren't satisfied with how they sound, sell them and get something else. To make them loud, you would have to alter them in such a way that you would end up destroying a $600 set of mufflers and your performance will probably suffer as a result. Don't ask me how I know. lol V&H makes the twin slash in round, oval and monster. Would look good, maybe a little louder.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:13 AM
bhm07
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anybody know what are a good set of load slip-ons

Old 05-17-2010, 09:00 AM
TitoFTW
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you running true duals? Just slapping the MOs on your stock header isn't gonna do much for sound.
I'm running the V&H dresser duals with the MOs, and at first they were still too quiet for me. After about 500 miles they sounded better. Now I've had them on for over 5000 miles and they sound great. It just takes time for them to break in and sound their best.
FYI, I recently had S&S 510G cams installed and now they REALLY sound good.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:23 AM
sh57
Elite HDF Member

I put the monster ovals on the stock head pipe and i am with you they were way to quiet. Installed power duels and 1000 miles later they are just right. I just hope in another 1000 they don't get to loud.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:24 AM
joejoe555
Intermediate

sh57 what u use to take that picture it cant be a helmet cam cause i see ur head but I like that shot cool, PM me if u dont mind?

Old 05-17-2010, 09:26 AM
jimhartman
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Initially I thought they were too quiet - especially when accelerating. But they get louder as you put the miles on. For long rides, they are plenty loud for me now. I think they are the best sounding pipes I’ve ever heard. I got my brother to ride my bike and I rode behind him and they sounded even better.

If you are looking for the traditional true-dual Rinehart sound, I would agree that your best solution would be to sell the MOs and get the Rineharts. Both sound great, the Rineharts are louder. Just be careful, loud pipes get old on long trips.

JH

Old 05-17-2010, 09:30 AM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

like others here have said, they do open up after 500 miles or so. I initially thought they were too quiet but now think they are perfect. If you want loud tho, you have the wrong slip-ons.....

Old 05-17-2010, 10:04 AM
sh57
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by joejoe555
sh57 what u use to take that picture it cant be a helmet cam cause i see ur head but I like that shot cool, PM me if u dont mind?
joejoe555, tried to pm you, would not let it go through. Shot taken by my wife with camera. Was on a charity run where they let us take 5 laps around Rockingham Motor Speedway. My camera is not fancy, but works good.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:35 PM
nvxplorer
Advanced

I have the MOs, and I go back and forth with my opinion. Sometimes I want that loud Harley rumble, but other times - like the 350 miles I did Saturday - I'm glad they're quiet at cruising speed. The tone is perfect. I have a set of Power Duals waiting for install, which may light them up a bit. True duals will give more volume, but I'm not going to sacrifice performance.

The MOs have about 2k on them now, and I'm starting to notice a difference in volume. The packing takes awhile to burn out completely.

Quick Reply: V&H Monster ovals, look great, too quiet!