Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Face Helmet, how hot during summer

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 12:07 PM
07fatboycustom
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Face Helmet, how hot during summer

I have three half helmets and one three quarter. Same for wife. Thinking my wife and I should get a full. Harley has a new one I saw at dealer that is really cool. Front lefts up, window lifts up seperately and even has a shade you can put down or back. $250.00 bucks. I am not concerned with cost though. Just wondering how hot do they get during summer months? Do they become uncomfortable to wear? And can you still hear traffic and talk with two up okay? Thanks for input.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by 07fatboycustom
...Just wondering how hot do they get during summer months?
I wear a FF here in the steamy deep south all summer without much of an issue. For me, it's actually more comfortable then an open face as I don't have the sun beating down on me.

...Do they become uncomfortable to wear?
Seems most find every helmet becomes uncomfortable after some hours...just depends on well it fits.

...And can you still hear traffic and talk with two up okay?
If at all possible, ride for a while with any helmet before you purchase (I know, most dealers won't allow this). Some helmets including FF's are very noisy...just depends.

I wear an expensive Arai only because it fits my skull...it is comfortable in both hot and cold weather and I can hear my passenger without much problem. But because of the solid chin bar, my voice is a bit more difficult to hear...just the nature of the beast.

Because of the chin bar, the lowest gauges are harder to see but it's just a trade-off for protection from the sun, wind, rain, and the pavement.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Pine made some good points. I have a half and full helmet that I swap back and forth (live in Vegas and Arizona, where 115+ is not uncommon for a month at a time). I actually prefer the full in the summer.

Just make sure you get a good helmet. Harley helmets are actually made by HJC I believe (unless they have a new contract with someone else). What you usually pay for on the more expensive helmets (Arai, Suomy, Shoei, etc) is because they are lighter, and have better airflow, so you can wear them comfortably longer. I have a cheapo full face that I've worn for 5+ hours at a time, and the weight is what I notice eventually the most. If you get a flip up full face helmet, you actually lose a little bit of protection (I haven't seen a flip up that is Snell certified yet, but they are still DOT), and I think they weigh more, but they can be handier when stopped for talking and such.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:02 PM
firebrick
Road Warrior

to me 3/4 is the way to go in the summer.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:36 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I always wear a modular full face it gets hot and humid her in ATL -- it took me about a month to get used to wearing them -- now I feel naked without it.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:45 PM
jeffc68
Tourer

I was thinking of getting a modular flip helmet but since I have 3 helmets already hate to spend more money. It be nice to be able to flip at lights and when parked and getting glasses on with the modular is suppose to be alot better.

I was going to try this one since it is cheap. (I know never go cheap with a helmet)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Full-...Q5fMerchandise

Old 05-16-2010, 03:06 PM
sh57
Elite HDF Member

my wife and I both wear modulars on all but the hottest days. We ended up getting chatterbox blue toth communictors so that we could talk while riding. They work great and you can also link them with your gps or whatever. They will also work with your phone, but i hate phones, so I have not tried that feature.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:08 PM
racerdj
Club Member

I wear one 100% of the time an Arai Profile. It has vents which I have open and I don't think it too hot.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:41 PM
NOLAMike
Road Master

I have an HJC IS-16, with the inner smoked visor, so there's no need for sunglasses. Until last summer I always rode with a half-helmet. I found the FF quieter and can't tell a difference in the heat really, except when stuck at a red light. I'm pretty sure HD sells that exact helmet under the HD brand (for quite a bit more of course).

Last edited by NOLAMike; 05-16-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:42 PM
GBFLHX
6th Gear

I used to wear ff Shoei if I am on the slab for more than a few days and especially if there is a chance of rain. There was no problem hearing and talking with the helmet on. In fact one problem I had was using ear plugs, not to go deaf from my own muffler sound. They quickly became very uncomfortable from the nature of tight fitting ff. And the heat was a major issue in summer if not moving.

Now I am happy with my Skid Lid and AGV 3/4.

Quick Reply: Full Face Helmet, how hot during summer