Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Face Helmet, how hot during summer

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:19 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Get a good one. i still think a FF is hotter in the summer. Kind of like having your head in a microwave. I wear used Arai Full faces as they were the most comfortable on my head. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Yes.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:51 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Too hot for me, that's for sure. In Phoenix we have about 4 months of 100+ degree days and about 3 weeks of that is 110+. I can't deal with a full face helmet in that kind of heat. I mostly wear half helmets and have 1 3/4 helmet for the "cold" weather.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:11 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

No helmet vents well behind a fairing or a windshield...just my take on it.

I have a Shoei Multi-tec modular and a Scorpion EXO400 and both are very hot behind the windshield of my Ultra.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Serge A. Storms
Road Captain
Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

I use a Shoei RF1000. Took me a couple days to get used to it after riding with halfies for years, as someone else mentioned, I now feel naked without it. Kind of like driving without a seatbelt after getting used to it.

Dont go cheap, if you get a good one the vents actually work. The only time it feels too hot is after I leave it sit in the sun for a couple hours then put it on.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:06 PM
knife_edge
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 07fatboycustom
I have three half helmets and one three quarter. Same for wife. Thinking my wife and I should get a full. Harley has a new one I saw at dealer that is really cool. Front lefts up, window lifts up seperately and even has a shade you can put down or back. $250.00 bucks. I am not concerned with cost though. Just wondering how hot do they get during summer months? Do they become uncomfortable to wear? And can you still hear traffic and talk with two up okay? Thanks for input.
Unless, you have the means to communicate via a device for the full face helmet. It's going to be hard to speak and hear each other while riding. Without it you'll need to lift up the shield everytime you come to a stop. As for the heat during those hot days, the answer is "Yes" very hot.... As far as the sound heard around you it depends on the helmet itself. Some are better than others. From experience, when it comes to the Harley helmets they are one of the worst. Specially for the cost. The Shoe Helmets would be a better buy for the money. I have around ten helmets and sold some off because they were so bad. When, it time for you to buy a helmet, I suggest doing some research on it. Google the reviews for different types and you'll be surprised. Most of the helmets being made for Harley are HJC Helmets and just because the Harley name is on it the cost is higher. Match the same style between the regular HJC and Harley HJC. You would fine that the Harley is going to be much higher in price.

You said that you have those three quarter helmets and that could just be fine for those hot days. I just bought one with the shield down in Miami, Florida and I didn't feel the wind as much as wearing a half helmet with that half shield and I could still hear just fine. I did noticed that at higher speeds above 70 MPH and wearing the helmet for several hours, I have gone deaf with a serious humming sound in my head. So much so that, I needed to put the volume up for the music to releave that feeling from my head. So, if you're riding for several hours think twice about unless you don't mind it. I could say that I never felt that from a full face helmet. There you have it my pros and cons on my helmets.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:15 PM
hyfly1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride all the time with a Shoei RF1000, which is a full face, but not modular, so the front does not lift up. I love it. I am comfortable in it all day long. It has excellent ventilation, and my head does not get hot while I am moving. As soon as I stop, the visor comes up. Sometimes I leave it open a crack at slow speeds. I tried the Shoei Multi-tech modular helmet, as well as a bunch of other modulars, and the fit was just not right for me.

I only ride with a full face helmet. I don't have much of a face, but I want to keep what I have.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you haven't used a full face helemt before you may be surprised at how loud they are with the wind noise. I use a Scorpion EXO400. I'm ok in the heat but my chin does sweat a bit.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:20 PM
sc00ter50
Advanced

If you decide to go FF, look into ear plugs. I've got both a regular FF and a modular, and the modular is a bit louder. Ear plugs make all the difference for me, I use the headset jacked into my Ultra for music and the plugs actually make the sound better. Summer I run with the shield open, both have the flip down sun shield to keep the bugs out

Old 05-17-2010, 04:42 PM
NMNSG08
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it to be to hot in the warmer months,But well worth it.Imho, my head is worth more than any helmet can cost or protect.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 AM
gm9
Cruiser

I always wear an HJC Modular FF Helmet. From a safety standpoint, FF's have obvious benefits.

EMT's recommend a modular fullface helmet. In the event of an accident, they are to stabilize the neck so they do not remove the helmet. However, the modular provides access in cases where the patient must me trached.

From a convenience standpoint, the modular allows you to eat or drink a beverage at rest stops without removing your helmet.

Quick Reply: Full Face Helmet, how hot during summer