Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Face Helmet, how hot during summer

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 06:49 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same helmet at HD for $100 more (-discounts) I find that it was about 1/2 size small so I had to go to a XL
Originally Posted by NOLAMike
I have an HJC IS-16, with the inner smoked visor, so there's no need for sunglasses. Until last summer I always rode with a half-helmet. I found the FF quieter and can't tell a difference in the heat really, except when stuck at a red light. I'm pretty sure HD sells that exact helmet under the HD brand (for quite a bit more of course).

Old 05-16-2010, 06:56 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 3/4 with a shield. Not hot at all in the summer. It also keeps the bugs out of your teeth. You will need to look for another source of protein however.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:13 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a FF HJC and it is fine as long as you're moving. If you get stuck in traffic, you could die honestly. I wear a half helmet during the hot summer months. Even the half gets pretty brutal in the 100 degree heat of July and August.

Maybe if you buy a premium helmet, you would have a different experience. Indiana is not a mandatory helmet State so the selection here is pretty limited off the shelf. Where I live, I can either buy a HD helmet or an HJC. I can't buy a helmet off the internet as I have fitment issues with my huge head.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:22 PM
soold
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an HD FF helmet and in the warmer months, even with the vents open My head gets wringing wet. I use mine only in the winter or the rain. I do have 2 half and a drawer full of doo-rags.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Craig4711a
Cruiser

I have a shoei modular FF helmet and wear it so I can go FF on the freeway and 3/4 around town. I wondered why it seemed cooler in the summer with the FF down. I did a wind chill factor calculator, and found out that anything over 97 degrees... it gets hotter the faster you go. At 100 degrees, going 70 MPH it can get up to 106... something like that. Seems I remember 97 degrees stays at 97. Google wind chill factor calculator and use the speed you travel as the wind speed.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:14 PM
07fatboycustom
Cruiser

thanks all for the input.
Am still thinking about the FF but not sure if I do if I will go modular or not.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Far 3ast
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cryptoboy
Harley helmets are actually made by HJC I believe (unless they have a new contract with someone else).
Harley helmets are made by a variety of manufacturers...I have seen helmets by HJCs, KBC, and AGV. My H-D branded 1/2 helmet is an AGV.

If you look at the label inside the helmet it I belive it tells who manufactured the helmet. I know my AGV does.

I used to wear a shorty in the summer. But now that I have an Ultra I wear my Arai full face so I can use the CB and intercom. In the summer I wear sunglasses under my helmet and keep the faceshield up. This lets a lot of air come through the helmet. Even without the glasses on under the helmet, if you open the faceshield a bit it will let a lot of airflow through the helmet. Not as cool as a 1/2 helmet, but not bad as long as you're moving.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:58 AM
audettd
Tourer

I wear the FF all year. I keep the "window" open unless the temps are below 35 degree's. I like all the advantages of the FF and feel they outway the disadvantages. Obviously if its steamy 90's...stopping is bit uncomfortable.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:11 AM
sfchief
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Shoei RF 1000 always. Does get warm in traffic but not unbearable. I always wear a bandana to help keep liner cleaner and help with cooling in the summer. Soak it before putting the helmet on, open the vents and get the cooling of evaporation working for you. One thing to consider is the color. Black gets noticably hotter than some of the lighter colors.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:18 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't yet have a full face helmet but finally decided to get one for winter riding as friends claim it keeps you much warmer. If however I was going to get one for year round use I WOULD NOT get black as it attracts heat. The coolest helmet I have (about 8 half helmets) is a chrome dome and by far the coolest to wear. Just like a car/truck, the darker the color the hotter it gets.

Quick Reply: Full Face Helmet, how hot during summer