Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AAFES overseas purchase program question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 08:43 PM
piper1978
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AAFES overseas purchase program question

Hey all,
First post here and I am most likely going to be deployed next year. I am looking at purchasing a street glide and was wondering if anyone on the forum has bought a touring model through the AAFES overseas sales program. How much did you save? Did it go smooth? were you happy with the program? If there is a better place to post this let me know and I can move the thread. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:48 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost did. I needed to trade or sell my bike. The military deal does not take trades. If you have a bike and want to trade you will have to sell your bike. You need to contact the AAFES people. Choose the bike you want and where you want it delivered to. They will email you a quote. Yes you can save money thru this progam. Bout a couple thousand $$ best I remember, plus you will not pay sales tax. To be eligable you have to be over seas 30 or more days. What I did instead was aproach a dealer and showed them what I could get it for thru military. They took my bike in on trade and I agreed to 400$ over the first price on that price tag. Best I remember mil price on a 2010 Ultra was about 21500. MSRP on the bike I got was in the range of 23500/23800. cant remember exaclty. So I ended up paying 21900 for the Ultra. It was worth the extra $400. to me for not having to hassle with selling my bike, plus I did not pay sales tax. Like I said, email the aafes and get a quote from them,, I think it is a good deal. Good luck to ya.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:10 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Talk to MossyOak if you can ever catch him on here. He bought a FatBoy, but it should be the same principle.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:10 PM
16over
Road Master

Another thing to think about is mods and extra's. These cannot be included in the purchase through the AAFES program. My dealer offers 20% of HD stuff and 10-15% off aftermarket items with the purchase. I also like the idea of dealing with someone locally. The savings were not enough for me when I bought my SG. I decided to go through the local dealer instead of AAFES and glad I did.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:28 AM
Sgt. Fury
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wont pay sales tax to AAFES, but you'll pay the state when you try to register it.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:37 AM
kredin
Outstanding HDF Member

I ordered mine through AAFES. I'm still in Germany but headed back to the USA. I will pick up my Road King in 18 days. I paid $17,301 for a Vivid Black, ABS, Cruise Control, and a 4 year warranty. AAFES matched my deposit of $300 with their $300. (That was the maximum they would match.) I had a TDY back to Virginia and stopped by the local dealer, Patriot HD in Fairfax. (Not all dealers participate in the program, as they do not make any $$ directly from the sale.) Spoke with the manager, a real nice guy.

The MSRP is $16,999. I'm out the AAFES door at $17,301 which includes ABS, Cruise Control, and a 4 year warranty. I think I got a pretty good deal.

Sure, I'll have to pay the state tax, but I would have had to pay that anyway.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:51 AM
wagsrk08
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I ordered my 08 Road King while in Kuwait 2007 through Military Car Sales (Overseas Car Sales, AAFES). Very smooth transaction. All it took was a $500 deposit to order. Since I don't have the paperwork in front of me (I'm at work), if memory serves me correctly I saved almost $2,000 off MSRP. This included extended 5yr warranty, ABS brakes, factory alarm. Paid it off before I left country.

The company was very good sending me emails on the progress of my order, week of manufacture, and delivery to my hometown HD dealer. Couldn't ask for more. The dealership said they could of not even came close matching what I paid for my bike, then slapped with paying the Ohio Sales Tax...... You may save be able to even save more in 2010/2011 since sales are down for the MotorCo.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:20 AM
Live2ride247
Cruiser

Piper,
I have bought two bikes through AAFES; a Heritage Classic in 2004, and a '10 SG in January. Several good points have been brought up so far. You will not pay sales tax going through AAFES, you will pay the least amount for a brand new bike, and there is no worry about the dealership adding in fees and finance charges that only go into their pocket. That being said, if you have a good relationship with a dealer, they will almost certainly be able to give you a VERY good deal, if you explain that you are considering using AAFES. My local dealer told me when I picked up my SG they would have matched AAFES price, AND all my aftermarket goodies would have been covered for the whole warranty period. My advice to you would be to make some inquiries with your local dealer, and make sure you have done some research about prices. Either way, you'll come out of the deal with a Harley, and that's the important part!!

Good luck, and be safe!

Old 05-16-2010, 06:50 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

I almost bought my SG before i returned from Iraq last Nov but before i did i emailed a couple of my local dealers and the AAFES couldnt match the dealers offer. I paid about $800 more using the dealer but, he gave me a $1000 worth of free parts, 4 hours free labor and my first service was free with synthetic fluids.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:04 AM
nuberton
Advanced

Sounds like it's a hit-or-miss. I was in Honduras last year and ordered a Rocker through New Car Sales and, after pricing through 10 different places from VA to CA, I found the deal saved me about $2,500. My friend SWEARS he got a better deal on his by going through the dealer because of the upgrades (like what hd rolling said). I liked the service and it was really easy. I even switched my order from an X-Bones and it was mad easy. I'd definitely do it again, no question.

Quick Reply: AAFES overseas purchase program question