Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AAFES overseas purchase program question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 07:26 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't want to hijack the thread and this won't help your question, but it made me remember the Electra Glide King of the Highway I bought in 1973 in Geissen FRG through AAFES for $3288. I had a lot of great memories on that bike.

Last edited by AlCherry; 07-17-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:45 AM
BRIAN4BES
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AAFES Program

Just purchased a 2010 Ultra Classic. Depending on what state you plan to register your ride in, you may or may not have to pay the sales tax. You select a participating dealer to have it delivered to and when. The selection is limited right now, but you can place an order or a 2011 now. The only problem is the colors list is out, but you can't view the color options yet. I have the list, but can't get it to attach. If you give me your email address, I'll send to to you. Here is the site to start you off:
www.encs.com

Brian

Old 05-16-2010, 11:00 AM
MillsFL
Advanced

WOW!!!! Sounds like u guys got a deal of a lifetime!!!! I was gona purchase a 2007 softail custom and it was only 400 cheaper than at Destination Daytona, the only difference I could see was that while your deployed and if you made payments then it goes directly to the principle of the purchase. So when u picked the bike up if it was 15K and you paid 10K all u financed was 5K thats the only savings I saw. Yes I did some research b4, Destination was selling their softail customs for 16,900 and AAFES was selling theirs for 16,500.
No you dont pay sales tax when you buy threw AAFES but you pay sales tax when you go to TT&L the bike thou.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:47 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,370 Likes on 2,543 Posts

when i was in iraq i looked at the aafes program. the only deal i could see was that they were including a 2 year extension on the warranty at no cost. otherwise the cost was the same. plus you would not be able to add the sales tax into the loan and would have to pay that out of pocket when you register the bike.

in this case, not really a deal.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:07 PM
piper1978
Tourer

Thanks for all your replies. I am currently stateside ridin my sporty. I do enough two up riding to want the SG. I have the itch to buy now, but would hate to get in the sandbox this time next year and find out I could have saved 2-4,000 off the bike. Sounds like its hit and miss and I am in Kansas. The dealer I have been talking too is the dealer that just changed owners and there is a thread already posted on here that isnt giving me a warm fuzzy feeling about them when I get into an opportunity to buy (hopefully that will be three months from now). I could look into Topeka HD which my buddy bought his from and likes them or ST. Joe HD and am just doing my research right now. Do you have to be overseas to get a quote. I know you cant buy untill 30 days OCONUS but can you get a quote stateside?

Old 05-16-2010, 12:22 PM
j_kutsch
Novice

I bought my Road King through Navy Exchange New Car program back in 07. It's the same folks that do the AAFES sales. I saved about $2000 over what my local dealer wanted. Yes, you can email them and get quotes before you deploy. They also have a website that lists prices and will give you an idea depending on what options you want. I was very impressed with the whole experience and would do it again.

As has been mentioned, you will have to pay sales tax to the state when you register it and there is no way to roll that into the financing.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:26 PM
NECaveman
Tourer

Do your homework! I bought a vehicle through the AAFES purchase program some years back. The purchase was smooth, no issues there. Had to give AAFES like 60 days (+/-) advance purchase to get the vehicle built and delivered.

Dumb on me, i should have known better. Got $0.00 discount on nothing. I PCS'd to San Antonio, TX and found the same vehicle with more options at $3k less. For the afterthought, the only benefit from AAFES is I was able to add and drop the options of my choice, just like you can now do on the manufacturers websites. Good luck, ride safe, and your in our hearts!!

Old 05-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Sven75
4th Gear
Default 2010 Street Glide Purchase

Just bought a 2010 FLHX Black Denim from AAFES. Got 4 yr warranty, leather jacket, couple of other "dealer" incentives that I cant remember. Paid just less than MSRP. Yes, there are better deals out there, but if I were to buy on from a German dealer it would be 20K EURO!! It wasn't the deal of the century, but I did my research and didnt get hosed by any means. The biggest downfall IMO was not being able to "add on" to the bike during the order process. Got 750 miles in 3 riding days! Love the SG. My other bike is an '02 Deuce which I bought on the economy (German Dealer) when the Mark changed to the EURO. Ended up paying 14K for a an 18K bike because the exchange rate was in my favor.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Glide'n09
Tourer

Transaction with AAFES is smooth.

With that said, you will get a better "all around" deal from a dealer. Had I known I could have got the color I wanted I would have went with the dealer. They would not hold one for me without $$ down.

And no, they will not give quotes while stateside. (If you tell them you're stateside)

Old 05-16-2010, 03:48 PM
troy.j
Road Captain

08 ultra.
$19K fully loaded. Two tone paint, laced wheels, ca emissions.....

I had my wife looking at bikes here in Washington State. She couldn’t touch a new ultra for under $25K (well over MSRP) at the time.

Here is how it worked for me in Afghanistan. 10%off MSRP. No tax + 500 freight. Shipped to the dealer of my choice in the state of my choice. If I would have shipped to WA I would have had to pay the state their tax on the back end. I had it shipped to OR and have OR plates on the bike.

I saved somewhere between 7,000 and 10,000 over buying it local in Washington and paying tax and license here.

Quick Reply: AAFES overseas purchase program question