Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Engine heat

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 08:08 PM
pauletich
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Engine heat

I just purchased an 07 FLHX stock except for a vance and hines fuelpak, I like the power and love the sound. I have heard that the 07 engine gets a lot hotter than most other bikes. If I like the why my bike is should I invest in atleast opening the air filter to cool the engine? Will a stock (closed up) air filter damage the engine of the 07 Street Glide? How many MPG will I lose if I don open it up.
Thank you

Old 05-15-2010, 08:14 PM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 172 Likes on 126 Posts

Ride it some and see how it does. Many of the early 07's had some heat issues but bikes built later that year was cooled down down a bit by HD with a different tune then earlier in the year. I bought a 07 in august of 07 and it was just fine.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:20 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought an '07 Street Glide in August of '06 and don't have any heat issues with a stock air cleaner and aftermarket pipes.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:22 PM
pauletich
Road Master

Thanks for the input, I just dont want to burn up the engine. I live in Phx, Az and it gets down right hot and I'm sure the bike takes a beating in the summer months.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:08 PM
paguy
Road Captain

Air filter- more air cooler engine. Use a good synthetic oil, mobile, amsoil, redline, etc. These have detergents that will clean carbon out of engine. Carbon build up equals heat. Syn 3 has none or very little detergents and allows carbon to build.
Redline makes a V-twin tranny fluid with shock proof. Same shockproof protection as regular shockproof with a lighter vascosity with less drag on engine.
I live north and have done all this with great results. If I lived meridian south of Virginia I"d look at an oil cooler, preferably Jagg.
The 96" engine seems to be a great one. Maybe the best made. Time will tell. The EPA is killing this engine. Proper fuel management and good air flow and you will be suprised.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:24 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You wont loose any MPG unless you make the A/F richer, Its easier and requires less work for the engine to pull in air with an open intake. Even when the ECU enriches the A/F ratio due to the increased air volume introduced into the intake the open air cleaner reduces the resistance or effort to get the air into the engine balances out this area, so in essence you break even when it comes to MPG and the opposite is true if you restrict the intake you make it harder to get air into the engine at the same time this is less volume of air so the ECU will lean out the mixture.

Last edited by fireaxxe; 05-15-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:32 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

i have an 07 that was stupid hot,started with rj originals heat sheilds,added ied"s helped a little,ditched the ied"s and went with fuelmoto package pcv slip ons and air intake much cooler but milage did take a hit went from 40-42 too 37-39 worth it for the heat reduction and only use synthetic oils.im in the north if i was in a hot climate an oil cooler would be next on the list.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:33 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by paguy
Air filter- more air cooler engine. Use a good synthetic oil, mobile, amsoil, redline, etc. These have detergents that will clean carbon out of engine. Carbon build up equals heat. Syn 3 has none or very little detergents and allows carbon to build.
Redline makes a V-twin tranny fluid with shock proof. Same shockproof protection as regular shockproof with a lighter vascosity with less drag on engine.
I live north and have done all this with great results. If I lived meridian south of Virginia I"d look at an oil cooler, preferably Jagg.
The 96" engine seems to be a great one. Maybe the best made. Time will tell. The EPA is killing this engine. Proper fuel management and good air flow and you will be suprised.
WRONG! More air will make for a leaner mixture and a HOTTER engine.

You DO need to get a high flow filter for the better filtering they offer over the stock glass/paper filter and you need to take that fuel Pak off and throw it as far down the street as you can and get a real tuner and a map that is for your set up. THEN your motor will run cooler and live longer!

Old 05-15-2010, 10:43 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

was having the same thought as hogdoc but didnt want to slam on your fuelpack, no way to get an accurate map and adding air will require a new map.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:59 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
was having the same thought as hogdoc but didnt want to slam on your fuelpack, no way to get an accurate map and adding air will require a new map.
You 2 keep talking like this and the fuel pack I just took off my '07 won't be worth in the cassifieds!! LOL!!

Quick Reply: 07 Engine heat