Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Your Saddlebag Securing Pins

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 PM
old v twin
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bag check

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Most definitely - the open end of these pins will bend over time & the more you take bags on/off the faster they spread. This is why I changed the front ones to clevis pins (5/16") & washers - see pics. I posted this previously w/pics & fell better knowing my bags won't come off. Cheers!
Of all of the after market ideas this one is the slickest. Thanks for the idea, I like it.

FWIW, I still use the OEM fasteners, which I replace from time to time and carry two spares as well as a complete set of 5/16 nut, bolt and washer set ups incase someone I meet on my travels needs help. Will be adding this.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:16 PM
rodney123456
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a bag come off on a 2012 street glide come to find out the pins on the bag that came off were a little bit longer than the others dont know why but they are replacing the bag

Old 04-18-2012, 07:36 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawrco
Old thread, new info... inexpensive source on eBay from Bagger Saddlebag Theft Deterrent System (STDs - clever name). Cheaper than other alternatives posted on forum, but can still probably go cheaper at the construction box stores.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221002857674...84.m1423.l2649
Even cheaper source, use what came on the bike!!!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:38 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rodney123456
i had a bag come off on a 2012 street glide come to find out the pins on the bag that came off were a little bit longer than the others dont know why but they are replacing the bag
We have seen a few 12's that had a long and a short pin in them. The long pin is from the CVO bikes, they have a thicker grommet to space the bags out slightly.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:48 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer

Originally Posted by dirtracin23
I must have got good fasteners then because I have logged over 80K miles on HD baggers, many with overloaded bags, on some of the roughest roads in the country (Illinois) and have never had a set fail. It is my experience that if the "open" end of the pins are "spreading" out it is not after the pin has been locked onto the spring. This is the result of the bracket which holds the spring being out of adjustment and to much force having to be applied when twisting the fastener into the locked position on the spring.
I think everyone should just do whatever floats your boat. BUT--the above quote is bang on!!!

1HarleyGuy1

Old 04-18-2012, 07:57 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1harleyguy1
i think everyone should just do whatever floats your boat. But--the above quote is bang on!!!

1harleyguy1
yep!!!!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:58 PM
chopper king matt
Tourer

my RKC has 42000mls on her now so i think mine is just wear and tear so im going to bolt mine now i have read some more posts

Old 04-18-2012, 08:28 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

They cost, what? 4 bucks for two pair? I carry a spare set in my saddle bag. (If I don't lose the saddle bag, I would be able to help out someone with a busted pin...) LOL

Old 04-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Shawrco
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bag Theft Prevention?

Originally Posted by 1HarleyGuy1
I think everyone should just do whatever floats your boat. BUT--the above quote is bang on!!!

1HarleyGuy1
Not so much worried about loosing one in flight, but check out the video on the Bagger STDs website - shows how easy they can be removed w/screwdriver...

http://www.baggerstds.com/

I'm sure everyone will indeed float their own boat. I guess if someone is determined to steal the bags, they will get them, but if the bolts make it a little more difficult it may just make the difference in having bags or not having bags.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Brukus Motorcycle Parts
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawrco
Not so much worried about loosing one in flight, but check out the video on the Bagger STDs website - shows how easy they can be removed w/screwdriver...

http://www.baggerstds.com/

I'm sure everyone will indeed float their own boat. I guess if someone is determined to steal the bags, they will get them, but if the bolts make it a little more difficult it may just make the difference in having bags or not having bags.
Not only has BAGGER STD STOLEN our product, which has a PATENT, but he has now stolen our video! That is ME in that video.

Quick Reply: Check Your Saddlebag Securing Pins