Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Your Saddlebag Securing Pins

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Forgot to add, He doesn't have to get into your bags to pop the pin off the spring with a flat blade screw driver! This was in a thread posted awhile back where guy's had their bags stolen while inside eating or drinking a beer. Plus the pins cost about 9.00 bucks a piece to replace at HD. I didn't spend much more on the entire set at Ace Hardware. JMO

Old 05-21-2010, 11:23 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

New scenario, in the future HD will now bolt the hard bags on all new touring bikes and the same percentage of riders will complain about having to use tools to remove hard bags. Bolt'm on or leave'm stock , whatever makes y'all feel warm inside.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:56 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,297 Likes on 22,627 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
To be fair, they are made for a little more than convenience. The FAA is very picky on the quality of materials used on airplanes and just about every airplane flying uses these fasteners because they are very durable and hold together very well. They do break now and then like any mechanical device, but not at near the frequency of screws in the same high access areas. The other great suggestions for replacing the original fasteners are great ideas for security.

Beary
Yes, this may be, however the FAA also inspects a little more rigorously,and has very stringent standards than an HD rider does. The druse clips do not take into consideration the theft factor either, as the druse clips can be popped off from the back of the bag. Personally I could care less what anyone wants to use, but as I said previously I want to keep mine so me being inconvenienced a little more by taking extra precautions is really not that much of factor.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by NMNSG08
I've acually lost a bag on a ride,and yes it was put on correctly!They do come loose so beware!
Most definitely - the open end of these pins will bend over time & the more you take bags on/off the faster they spread. This is why I changed the front ones to clevis pins (5/16") & washers - see pics. I posted this previously w/pics & fell better knowing my bags won't come off. Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails Check Your Saddlebag Securing Pins-bag_pin-1.jpg   Check Your Saddlebag Securing Pins-bag_pin-2.jpg  
Old 05-21-2010, 12:17 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Changed mine out with a lynchpin long ago.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:17 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Theft???? That's why I pay insurance premiums. Keep bolting 'em on. I can have both mine off in less than 30 seconds to wash my bike. Back on in the same amount of time. More ridin' time for me. How many of the ones that are bolted get removed to clean the bike? That road grime and brake dust works wonders on the rims!

Old 05-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bolt em' on if you're worried about theft, otherwise buy 4 rubber "O" rings at any hardware store and place them between the bag and the washer and they'll never move. Just my .02.....

Old 05-21-2010, 07:50 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtracin23
I'm with HogDoc on this one. They don't come loose and the HD fasteners don't "wear out". I have seen springs break in racing apps when involved in a crash. I raced sprints and midgets and used aluminum Dzus buttons to secure all body panels. Had many BAD flips. We're talkin' some major G forces in some of these flips. Demolished many a top wing and chrome moly frames. Never had a Dzus button break. The body panels might have been wrecked but the fasteners were still holding the pieces. I think pro racing teams probably now use the aircraft variety which are MUCH more expensive. The average weekly racers, however, are still using the set ups which are nearly identical to what holds on HD saddlebags.

If the fasteners are getting a little easy to turn to lock the spring, take a large flat blade screwdriver and insert it between the Dzus spring and the bracket. Twist the screwdiver a bit in both directions. This spreads the spring out a little and tightens the fastener right up.
Regardless of your previous experience with this "type" of fastener, I can assure you the HD saddlebag fasteners DO wear out over time. Like Iceman24 said, the open end of the pin spreads apart making it easier for it to pop in and out of place. This was a problem with my 07 RK and I would have to pinch them back together with pliers to keep it tight. I always took extra care when installing the bags, making sure everything was aligned properly but the pins would bend anyway. All I'm trying to say is, don't think this system can't fail, it might be rare but it DOES happen so inspect the pins once in a while.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:02 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

I have to comment here. I have logged way over 100,000 miles on a few different baggers. I have worn out a few complete sets of Dzus fasteners. Both the pins and the spring clips. Thats the main reason I use the bolts with washers and nylock nuts. Anti theft is an added benefit. I have had them come loose before also. And yes they were properly fastened.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:56 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior

I must have got good fasteners then because I have logged over 80K miles on HD baggers, many with overloaded bags, on some of the roughest roads in the country (Illinois) and have never had a set fail. It is my experience that if the "open" end of the pins are "spreading" out it is not after the pin has been locked onto the spring. This is the result of the bracket which holds the spring being out of adjustment and to much force having to be applied when twisting the fastener into the locked position on the spring.

Last edited by dirtracin23; 05-21-2010 at 09:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Check Your Saddlebag Securing Pins