Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Cam debate

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:26 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For what you are requesting, the HQ500, SE 255 Andrews 21 are all great choices. As others have said, we all have our biases, and mine is Headquarters which will pull beyond the 4k mark without issue, but any of these will basically get you what you want if a cam only modification is what you are looking for and you are going to only look for performance in the ranges you have mentioned..

Old 05-14-2010, 08:57 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sporacer
I am not looking to do any other upgrades.
Famous last words.... I said the same thing only to tear it down 6 months later and bore the jugs and work the heads.

IMO, get a cam that can work with a stock 96 and a 103-107. If you pick a cam like this (Wood 6-6 in this example) you would most likely want to run a 4 degree advance gear to get the most out of the bottom end. Then if (when) you can't take it anymore and have to bore it out, pull the advance gear and you are good to go.

If you are 150% sure you will do cams and nothing else, any of those you listed (and others you didn't like the SE255 and a few T-Man grinds) will work well in an otherwise stock motor. Just be aware that a bigger cam like the Wood 6-6 typically like compression to be at least 10:1 for the most bang. Not to say they won't be an improvement over stock, but they need compression to get your money's worth.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:57 PM
toby34
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam

this is what worked for me pcv with auto tune, high end air cleaner, andrews 37h, with torrington bearings (this is a must), adjustable push rods (the chromoly big) the pipes you have selected are perfect two build efficiant hp gains

Old 05-15-2010, 03:20 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a 2010 flhx that needs to be woke up. With all the cam choices I am at a loss. The bike will be driven long distance and will be working in the 1800-4000 rpm range. I am torn with the hq-500,andrews 26,se 204,woods 6-6.The bike is gettin a stage 1 air cleaner,tts, and a d and d 2 into 1 with the quiet baffle. I am not looking to do any other upgrades. I would like to see around 20/20 hp/tq increase. I dont want any lifter noise either. Any input would help.
Well, if a meaningful increase at 1800-4000 is your quest, the SE255 or Andrews TW48 will be the best in a TC96 with stock compression and Stage 1 upgrades. In this range HP is irrelevant, as peak-HP is measured at much higher RPM's, and aspiring for a 20 ft/lb increase in TQ over a Stage 1 TC96 is IMO asking too much without other upgrades, especially compression.

Here's a recent cam thread that you may find interesting. Compare the chart shown on P. 5, Post #50 to any other.

SE255's properly tuned will likely give you about a 4HP and 8-10TQ increase over a well-tuned Stage 1 and no other upgrades. I doubt if you'll do better in the 1800-4000 range. What's more, you can find these on Ebay and elsewhere for about $150 as pulls from low-mileage CVOs.

People do have biases with cams or anything else, but the fact is that if you plan on using stock compression (9.2:1 in a TC96) you will have few choices if you want to retain or increase low-end TQ. Look at the intake-close spec for stock (30°) and the performance cams available. Only a few spec at 30° or less, and the higher the number the more negative effect the grind will have on the low-end, all other factors being equal. More emphasis on the low-end usually means less on the top-end and vice versa, so you must decide which is most important to you.

Last edited by iclick; 05-15-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:12 AM
adlerx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am doing mine next week. Unlike the OP, I have no illusions that there won't be more work later. My past bikes have been well beyond that 100/100 threshold and I like it and USE it all the time.
For that reason, I am using the wood 6-6 with 4* advance gear. I have SE/AC and Propipe HS already. No big bore/heads will be done this season.
I was late getting going this year(and broke) due to a serious accident in August. I like to be done messing with my bike before May 1, just my deal. At that point, it's time to ride. Short riding season where I live.
I was torn between the andrews 54, the SE 204 and the wood 6-6 and the se 255 was in the mix also.
In the end, I knew ultimately, that I would do more work. When I go to 107, fancy heads, possible throttle body/injector upgrade and clutch work next off season. The 6-6/+4 would give me best bang down the road and be tolerable for one season. The 255 which I came really close to using would never work for me. I don't really ride below 3k and since I didn't want to do heads this season, no CR's which the 255's need.
These are hard decisions, this is my my 5th build(4th bike) and by now, I know what I like in my budget range.
I hope the OP will realize that he may, for any number of reasons, be making changes down the road. Just be open to the possibility.
GOOD LUCK! Let us know what you decide and the results.

Last edited by adlerx; 05-16-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:22 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by adlerx
no CR's which the 255's need.
Are you saying you have to have compression releases if you put in 255 cams?

Old 05-16-2010, 11:57 AM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
Are you saying you have to have compression releases if you put in 255 cams?
No you won't need compression releases for a 255.

A comment on a previous post. I am extremely pleased with my Woods TW6-6's. My bike has really opened up and the low and mid range power is fantastic. Of course, once you start with these mods you can't stop. I thought about adding the +4* gear just to see what happens. Of course going to a 107 over the winter is on the table. It never ends!

Old 05-16-2010, 12:16 PM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I spend most of my time between 2800 and 3200 cruising. When I'm accelerating (which is pretty often since my fuel mileage reflects that) I'm between 4k and 5k. The SE 204 seems to work really well for the way I ride. Great midrange that pulls well to 5500 or so. Lots of good choices out there. Just be honest with how you ride and choose a cam that fits your range.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:28 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,037 Likes on 22,562 Posts

I have a 2010 flhx that needs to be woke up. With all the cam choices I am at a loss. The bike will be driven long distance and will be working in the 1800-4000 rpm range. I am torn with the hq-500,andrews 26,se 204,woods 6-6.The bike is gettin a stage 1 air cleaner,tts, and a d and d 2 into 1 with the quiet baffle. I am not looking to do any other upgrades. I would like to see around 20/20 hp/tq increase. I dont want any lifter noise either. Any input would help.
I would take it a step at a time. Make it a stage 1 first, that will be expensive enough for a start.

Then you will know what you gained from your stage 1 by the "seat of pants dyno".
Plenty of time to discuss cams after that.

Last edited by lionsm13; 05-16-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:53 PM
hdtucson
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 204

Came off a GW in 05 to an 06 Ultra that I ordered the day of the dealers meeting.

I wanted to make up some of the power loss from the Wing so did the 95bb with 204 after much of my own research. The bike is still no GW in the powere dept but I am totally pleased with the result.

My girlfriend, and now just me, go on coast to coast and/or border to border rides every summer and the occasional trip to Vegas or So Cal in between. Always with too much stuff on board as some of the trips are over three weeks and always over 7500 miles and some much more.

The bike passes at highway speeds, never hesitates, even uphill on mountain roads in the summer. Never feel at a loss for safe passing power or that kick needed at any time in the highway speed rpm range.

I feel the power is perfect with out loss of reliability to the bike or pain in the *** issues.

I also get 42-46 mpg and seldom see it dip below 40 in rough conditions. I am a conservative rider though!.

I would like a new bike and if it happens I will add an a/c, pipes, fuel management sys and the 204's again. No bb next time. Not going to fix something that aint broke for me.

I must say I am no mechanic like some here and have not experienced any other cams. But this has been my experience and happy with the result.

Quick Reply: 96 Cam debate