Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denim paint questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:51 AM
sj9125
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Denim paint questions

For those of you that have the denim painted bikes. Do you have any regrets going with it and are there any downfalls to it? A new touring bike is in the very near future (Sept ) and I really like the black denim but don't know if it is any more problematic to remove road grime or bug guts from it. And how does it stand up to someone dragging a lazy foot across it? I know how to polish out a normal paint job but don't have any experience with this. ANY advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated before I drop this kind of cash down for a new ride. Like my current bike it'll see the road plenty and probably more being a more comfortable ride so let me know what you all think.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:58 AM
chasd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am truly an expert on this subject having owned a black denim street glide for a whopping 24 hours I did investigate and all the feedback I got was it was real easy to maintain. It cant be any harder than a vivid black bike that's for sure. I live off a dirt driveway so dust is an issue. I have no regrets after 24 hours. Good Luck

Old 05-14-2010, 12:45 PM
wally09
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 09 silver denim street glide, glad I bought the denim, washes easy as far as bugs when I get home or when ready to wash it just put a wet hot towel on the front first and let it sit for 5min. and just wipe things off. PS no polishing or wax.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:53 PM
garymann
Advanced

I've had a black denim Streetbob since 2006. The care of the paint is very easy. As long as you use a cleaner or polish that doesn't contain wax you won't have a problem. Harley makes a denim specific cleaner if you don't want to risk another product.

I do have several marks (rings from the suction cups) from a removable pillion seat on the rear fender but since I enjoy riding more than cleaning the bike it doesn't bug me like it would some. The paint job is like a pair of jeans or a leather jacket in that if there is an area that rubs regularly it will show wear.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:07 PM
nuberton
Advanced

I regret NOT getting denim black. Not sure if that helps...

Old 05-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had an '07 Pewter Denim SG and recently bought a '10 RG Custom in black denim.

Other than having some shiny spots here and there on the tops of the saddle bags after grubbin down on some fine Southern cuisine (read: deep fried, nice and greasy)...no issues at all. Nothing that a pack of handy wipes in the bags won't fix though.

I'm sold on the denim paint. VERY easy to clean and maintain so far.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:18 PM
badblue
Cruiser

I have an '07 blue denim SG with a custom black flame job and 31,000 miles on it and love it. The denim paint is the best to clean and take care of. The only problem I see are the saddle bag latches. When you open the bags the latch sits against the little rubber protector and over time causes little shinny spots on the latch. I would never own a gloss paint job again after having the denim.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:19 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 2010 Denim Black FLHX

I have a 2010 FLHX denim black. I went from a vivid black to the denim. I use a microfiber towel that is wet and microwaved for 1 minute to clean the fairing. I use windex ( no amoninia) on the tank and fenders. It takes me about 10 mins to clean the denim bike. I spend more time on the chrome, and have started powder coating some of the chrome.

If there is one downfall to the denim black, its the powder coating. There are gloss black aftermarket parts, but not a lot to match the black denim.

I love my FLHX and have 3000 miles on it haven't seen anything to tell me dont buy denim.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:12 PM
tekeum
Cruiser

Love the denim paint won't have a shinny job again.

Attached Thumbnails Denim paint questions-101889d1268367307-black-out-tourers-013.jpg  
Old 05-15-2010, 01:55 PM
highwayman1224
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tekeum
Love the denim paint won't have a shinny job again.
Very nice lookin scoot!!!!!

Quick Reply: Denim paint questions