Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sweet! Finally found one! Chain drive for IDS bikes!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:54 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have broken 4 belts in 15 months on a HQs 107 RG (09) -- one belt did not last 1/2 block -- I finally took the bike to Great South HD -- they did a through inspection seems the coating on the rear pulley is/was non existant--they will be replacing the belt and pulley under warranty.

I will look into the chain drive
Originally Posted by JCleary
I know Zippers and 3Guyz makes chain conversion for non-IDS (cush drive) bikes. Neither company has a kit available yet for the newer bikes. Here's a guy that takes the stock pulley and modifies it.

He says he can powdercoat or polish it, depending on what you want. Pricey, but cool for sure. My buddy is ordering one. He's blown two belts in 2600 miles due to lots of burnouts...

http://www.pmfronline.com/bagger-chain-drive.php

Old 05-14-2010, 07:31 AM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What coating is this? Ive never seen a coated pulley unless it was a rubber inlay done by Sumax.

Originally Posted by lkr0
I have broken 4 belts in 15 months on a HQs 107 RG (09) -- one belt did not last 1/2 block -- I finally took the bike to Great South HD -- they did a through inspection seems the coating on the rear pulley is/was non existant--they will be replacing the belt and pulley under warranty.

I will look into the chain drive

Old 05-14-2010, 08:03 AM
gwcrim
Tourer

Followed by an S&S carb and drag pipes.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:25 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

i was told its a electro magnetic coating to keep if from rusting and becoming abrasive -- sounded strange to me -- BUT they are replacing the belt under warranty -- BTW I was the last time it broke I was more than 300 miles from home (at Thunder Beach) fortunately we had a multi bike trailer
Originally Posted by timvan
What coating is this? Ive never seen a coated pulley unless it was a rubber inlay done by Sumax.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:26 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

hey now -- I got a carb'ed bike
Originally Posted by gwcrim
Followed by an S&S carb and drag pipes.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:40 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

"an electro magnetic coating" - otherwise known as nickle?

Man the dealers will tell you anything now a days. "no really we didnt use the 100ftlb tq impact gun to put your compensator on which resulted in a bent crank...honestly"!!

Originally Posted by lkr0
i was told its a electro magnetic coating to keep if from rusting and becoming abrasive -- sounded strange to me -- BUT they are replacing the belt under warranty -- BTW I was the last time it broke I was more than 300 miles from home (at Thunder Beach) fortunately we had a multi bike trailer

Old 05-14-2010, 08:51 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

1st belt replaced at 5k miles at Stn Mtn HD -- paid for by me -- built motor you were hot rodding

2nd belt replaced at 8k miles at Indy Shop -- paid for by me

3rd belt replaced at 8k miles at Indy shop -- free -- he test rode the bike before he could get down the street it snapped

4th belt replaced at 10.5k at Great South HD -- warranty work

My 06 SG 131ci not one broken belt

Many of my Riding Bud's have converted to chain drive -- all have very built motors and ride them accordingly

Last edited by lkr0; 05-14-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:56 AM
jackinthebox
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's nice to have the option. I know guys that have chain and guys with belts. I have seen a belt break just riding down the strip and break doing stunts. Either way it cool some might just want a chain cause if it does break they can fix it right away

Old 05-14-2010, 09:58 AM
jackinthebox
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lyn
how's it going. What's up in the atl? Ur a belt breakin machine. I'm still trying to perfect my skills you know what I mean.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:39 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

I know what you mean--it's very easy on my SG -- when I first got it; it scared the chit out of me -- now that only happens when I'm on it in the rain--the back tire has tendency to slide *** out
Originally Posted by jackinthebox
Lyn
how's it going. What's up in the atl? Ur a belt breakin machine. I'm still trying to perfect my skills you know what I mean.

Quick Reply: Sweet! Finally found one! Chain drive for IDS bikes!!