Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modulating Headlight Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:39 AM
roadking71865
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modulating Headlight Question

I was thinking about getting one of these but the units I looked at all had a photo cell so the modulator automatically shuts off when the sensor deems it's dark enough. I'd like to get one but really don't want to drill a hole in my new Ultra fairing. Does anyone have one of these, if so, where did they mount the photo cell sensor?

Old 05-13-2010, 09:44 AM
TMART
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran mine half way up rt side handle bar and attached it to existing harness.The sensor is not vey big at all.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:26 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Run your wire along bars and thru the fairing bar opening.Run the sensor up the right bar approx. 4 inches so the sensor faces up and zip tie in 2 places.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:46 AM
DMcBiker
Cruiser

Did the same, I ran mine out the fairing hole for the Clutch cable. The best safety devise you can get for $100.00 bucks. Cars, Bikes, everyone sees you coming with a modulator. I even had one car I was following pull over thinking I was police of something.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Indiana Bob
Intermediate

Didn't drill any holes either but ran it up the cltuch side instead.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:30 PM
mopar400
Tourer

Same here ran thru hole for clutch cable and zip tied to bars

Old 05-13-2010, 12:50 PM
ScottAtl
6th Gear

I ran the sensor wire thru the wire harness and down just below my fairing and zip-tied it. Real easy. I got the Kriss Modulator brand because of my dual lights. Other brands required purchasing two modulators. They work great and you can manually turn most off if your riding in groups and you don't want to annoy the guy in front of you all day.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:25 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

These so called head light modulators are illegal in a lot of States. I actually pulled over off the road after seeing this flashing headlight coming at me on a 2 lane road about a mile away. It turned out to be some jack *** with one of these headlight modulators. Pissed me off. I think there is a limit on what you should to do be seen and these modulators are way over the top in my opinion. Check your local laws. We have a lot of 2 lane highways here in Kansas and usually when you see a flashing headlight it means there is a KHP coming at you running about mach 2.

UPDATE: I just read that these modulators are legal in all 50 states and Canada and no local law can over ride this federal law. I still don't like them. Flashing headlights belong on emergency vehicles, not motorcycles.

Last edited by KCFLHRC; 05-13-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:24 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

mine got me a ticket a couple of years ago. trooper said the light made him notice me and check my speed. 70 in a 55 but he wrote it for 64 in a 55 cause he liked my FLHP. Local nuts around here still pull out in front of you even with the modulation.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by KCFLHTC
These so called head light modulators are illegal in a lot of States. I actually pulled over off the road after seeing this flashing headlight coming at me on a 2 lane road about a mile away. It turned out to be some jack *** with one of these headlight modulators. Pissed me off. I think there is a limit on what you should to do be seen and these modulators are way over the top in my opinion. Check your local laws. We have a lot of 2 lane highways here in Kansas and usually when you see a flashing headlight it means there is a KHP coming at you running about mach 2.

UPDATE: I just read that these modulators are legal in all 50 states and Canada and no local law can over ride this federal law. I still don't like them. Flashing headlights belong on emergency vehicles, not motorcycles.
I had a similar opinion before I bought both of my bikes. However I'm wondering where I can get these for my Ultra. If it can make others notice me and save my life I'm all for installing this on my bike. Where do you buy these ? I'll put this on in a heartbeat if it will ensure my safety.....

My .02

Quick Reply: Modulating Headlight Question