Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modulating Headlight Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:32 AM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SamStone
I'm sure they are a good idea, but they seem to make the rider look wide eyed and paranoid.

I am paranoid I know all those goofy cagers are out to get me consciously or not.

With my visor down you can't tell if I wide eyed unless there's cute skirt in cage next me then I flip it up.

Had one for years, drilled the hole right in the middle on top of the inner fairing, you don't notice it unless.

Oh yeah, for the dolts that say they have pulled over, hahahahahaha, goofy you!!! Last check when cops are rolling code those funny red and blue lights are on. Oh yeah and from experience and demonstration I know for a fact you see those colored lights long b4 you see the headlights or hear the siren. But thats JMHO.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:21 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHTC
UPDATE: I just read that these modulators are legal in all 50 states and Canada and no local law can over ride this federal law. I still don't like them. Flashing headlights belong on emergency vehicles, not motorcycles.
Headlight Modulators are legal in all 50 States for Motorcycles Headlights Only. They are legal for Day Time use ONLY.

As for the Emergency vehicles, they do NOT have headlight Modulators. They have Wig-Wag modules that make the Headlights flash back and forth. They are at a specific frequency and different from the Motorcycle Headlight Modulators.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:51 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

I would never own a bike without one. I have them and know the difference. I may not help but it sure does not hurt in all situations. Hell, in Fort Lauderdale the drivers at lest say they are sorry when they cut you off.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:18 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
maybe its not like this everywhere but emergency vehicles do not run flashing headlights here, they have red and blue strobes......
Every Emergency vehicle here including police, ambulance, fire and Highway patrol all run flashing headlights with the strobes on top. A lot of times the KHP just run the flashing headlights if they are traveling to an accident.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:59 PM
TitoFTW
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my "out in left field" thought about modulating headlights... Mind you, I'm not an expert on, well, anything. Like I said, this is just me thinking...

I had a friend in school who was an epileptic. Strobe lights would send him into a siezure. So I figured it would be just my luck if I was to install a modulating headlight as a "safety feature", but it caused an oncoming driver to have an epileptic fit and then they swerve into my lane, hit me head on, and bam I'm dead.
No. No modulating headlight for me.
Besides, they look kinda gay.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:22 PM
BlueBellKnoll
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had mine for a week now

Someone came to our local H.O.G. chapter meeting to speak about the two most important safety devices, in their opinion, one could have on a bike. One was a modulating headlight and the other was a good helmet.
Since my helmet is fairly good, I decided to purchase the modulating headlight and brake light from Kisan. I've been running both for a week now to see how I like them and so far I must say it's been a positive.
Cars do seem to notice me more especially those making the dreaded left turn in front of me. Cars on the freeways will sometimes move out of my lane making freeway travel faster.
The one knock that I've heard people say about the modulator is that oncoming cars looking to make that left hand turn will think that you are flashing them to go ahead. I believe that the reason this couldn't happen is because the headlight doesn't flash. The headlight is always on and it simply 'pulsates.' To my eyes, there isn't anyway to mistake a modulator with flashing lights that turn on and off.
A compromise would be to use the modulator only when you need it. It only works on the high beam so you can use your low beam and spot lamps whenever you'd like to and then use the modulator when you feel like it such as at an intersection.
I didn't need to drill a hole in my fairing either and simply mounted it to my Sirius/XM satellite radio mount.
I don't have much feedback regarding the modulating brake light yet other than it does look cool from the back when you squeeze the brake for the 4 seconds that the brake light does modulate.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:40 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,192 Likes on 22,601 Posts

[QUOTE=BlueBellKnoll;[B]The one knock that I've heard people say about the modulator is that oncoming cars looking to make that left hand turn will think that you are flashing them to go ahead[/B].

"Flashing them to go ahead"?
I don't think so....If you see someone flashing their lights at you, what do you think? I think that means I need to turn my lights on, or that there's cops ahead. Those have always been the universal signs associated with someone flashing their lights.
I would never think for a second and have never thought that it meant "go ahead" in front of me.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:57 PM
oasis03
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ignorance can be cured, stupid is for ever

Old 05-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TitoFTW
Here's my "out in left field" thought about modulating headlights... Mind you, I'm not an expert on, well, anything. Like I said, this is just me thinking...

I had a friend in school who was an epileptic. Strobe lights would send him into a seizure. So I figured it would be just my luck if I was to install a modulating headlight as a "safety feature", but it caused an oncoming driver to have an epileptic fit and then they swerve into my lane, hit me head on, and bam I'm dead.
No. No modulating headlight for me.
Besides, they look kinda gay.
The frequency that the headlight Modulators and the Headlight Wig-Wag used on Emergency Vehicles has been tested as to Not cause any kind of Epileptic reaction.
If they could, they would not be approved for use on any Public Roadway.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:43 AM
TitoFTW
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
The frequency that the headlight Modulators and the Headlight Wig-Wag used on Emergency Vehicles has been tested as to Not cause any kind of Epileptic reaction.
If they could, they would not be approved for use on any Public Roadway.
I kinda figured that but like I said, that's just my "left field" thinking.

I still have no plans to get a modulating headlight. Just not my thing.

Quick Reply: Modulating Headlight Question