Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I do this and is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 03:15 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Should I do this and is it worth it?

I've pretty much decided on doing the SE-255 cams on my 96" 2009 RKC. It already has SE air cleaner, SEST and thunderheader. While installing the cams I'm also thinking about putting on the cometic head gaskets? Does anyone know how much this will boost compression/performance? Is it worth doing and will it cause any hard start issues or would I need compression releases? Thanks…

Old 05-13-2010, 06:07 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check with Darren, UltraKla$$ic, he did the same thing with the same cam. I bet he can give ya good info there/

Old 05-13-2010, 06:38 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your plan for the SE255 cams and using the cometic gasket probably won't get you more compression/ performance that you would be able to notice, for the money involved. You won't need compression releases with just the cams and the gasket or have starting issues. Plenty here have just put in the 255's and gotten what they wanted.

Don't know how much it means to you to have more compression but, if you plan on pulling the heads, why not put in high compression pistons. This would allow for higher lift cams and boost your performance. It's all about how much money you want to spend and where you want your performance. If your plan involves more motor work later on, try to think ahead a little. Planning a build will produce better results with the more information you have and take your time. Good Luck

Old 05-13-2010, 08:48 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by smokindave
Your plan for the SE255 cams and using the cometic gasket probably won't get you more compression/ performance that you would be able to notice, for the money involved. You won't need compression releases with just the cams and the gasket or have starting issues. Plenty here have just put in the 255's and gotten what they wanted.

Don't know how much it means to you to have more compression but, if you plan on pulling the heads, why not put in high compression pistons. This would allow for higher lift cams and boost your performance. It's all about how much money you want to spend and where you want your performance. If your plan involves more motor work later on, try to think ahead a little. Planning a build will produce better results with the more information you have and take your time. Good Luck
The mods I've done and the 255 cams are the only mods I plan on doing aside from the possible cometic gasket. Putting in high compression pistons is more costly and probably would have a negative effect on the 255 cam. After studying cams, I've decided that the 255 comes on right where I like it and I don't want the problems thy come with high compression motors. I just thought the cometic gasket may boost it just enough to squeeze a little more hp out of it without working against the cam or causing the typical high compression motor problems that may arise.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:51 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

UltraKla$$ic, are you out there somewhere? Your build helped bring this idea to the forefront of my mind. Did you use adjustable pushrods or no?

Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 AM
gwcrim
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was to go as far as pulling the heads, there's no way I wouldn't upgrade to 103. Lotta work to replace a gasket that ain't bad.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:16 PM
smokindave
Road Warrior

"typical high compression motor problems" What problems? Many people are running high compresssion motors way bigger than mine and have no problems. I can run the mountain highs or seacoast lows, no pinging, nothing. If you have the proper tune you should not be afraid of high compression, that's where you get TORQUE. But, I understand you want the SE255's and that's the right choice for you. Why don't you PM Ultracla$$ic.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:53 PM
cosshog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the 255s with adjustable pushrods so I wouldn't have to pull the heads and I could not be more happy with the results. The bike runs so much better with good tq in all the right places.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:15 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cosshog
I did the 255s with adjustable pushrods so I wouldn't have to pull the heads and I could not be more happy with the results. The bike runs so much better with good tq in all the right places.
+1!! Should have done it LONG ago!!

Old 05-13-2010, 02:16 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindave
"typical high compression motor problems" What problems? Many people are running high compresssion motors way bigger than mine and have no problems. I can run the mountain highs or seacoast lows, no pinging, nothing. If you have the proper tune you should not be afraid of high compression, that's where you get TORQUE. But, I understand you want the SE255's and that's the right choice for you. Why don't you PM Ultracla$$ic.
The only thing that comes to mind are the folks that report hard starting and smoking starters and what not. Apparently this happens to some of our 103 breathren.

lp

Quick Reply: Should I do this and is it worth it?