Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 with Catalytic Converter........

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:10 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Stage 1 with Catalytic Converter........

I have a 2010 Road King so it has a cat. converter. I'm thinking of a Stage 1 upgrade, but really wonder if it'll be worth it with that cat. on the back end.

I got a quote for about $450 for the Stage 1 with a download from the dealer.

I can get Rush headers (ceramic lined) and Stage 1 to go along with my Rinehart slip-ons for about $1450 (includes dyno time of about 3 hours).

Of course money is tight and the $450 looks better than the $1450, but the real question is, will I realize any performance increase with just the Stage 1 with the cat. still in place??

Your comment and suggestions, please. Thank You.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:48 PM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Having the cat or not having the cat won't make much difference in performance. This subject is the subject of many threads worth of debate. Removing the cat will make the engine run cooler and last longer. Heat kills air cooled engines. It will also generally be louder without the cat, but that depends on what you do for mufflers.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:52 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

i have cat equiped bike and got great results from stage 1. my tuner claims the cat won't make any difference until i want to build a 95 + hp motor. this has also been reported by fullsac.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:17 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Jamie at Fuel Moto told me the 2010's with the CATS will make about 2 hp less than the 09's with the same stage 1 set up. So instead of 14 hp you should get around 12 with the Dyno Tuned slip on's, A/C and PC V. That set up will run you between $700 and $800 if I remember right. Pretty good price for a 12 hp gain.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:34 PM
FLS2FLH
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2010 FLHTK still has the CAT and after going w/Fuelmoto Stage 1 there is a significant difference in operating temperature. Performance wise, much more linear feeling bike. Less than 700 for the package. Recommended!

Old 05-13-2010, 01:38 PM
cafedante
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2010 FLHTC. I put on a pair of Rinehart slip-ons. Had a Stage 1 and map done at HD (I noticed that no one who works there uses stock pipes on their bikes by the way).

They assured me that even with the CAT it makes a difference and the engine should run a bit cooler due to the added fuel ratio.

I noticed my pipes also got just a bit louder after the Stage 1. After a 400 mile day this week I've decided they're not for me and after 2 weeks have put them up for sale. No I have the stocks back on and they sound much better after the Stage 1.

I'm still looking for the right pipes though...

Old 05-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oxymoron

Stage 1 with catalytic converter. Is that an oxymoron like Jumbo Shrimp ?

Old 05-13-2010, 01:59 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't worry about the cat. It does not hinder performance under 100hp. And the heat woes, well, I think are greatly exaggerated.

My bike, with a Thunderheader, cams, and full tune and running pretty rich to keep it cool is still way hotter than my carbed '04 Road King. In fact, I don't think it is much cooler than the Stage 1 download, but it does run good.

Removing the cat on this bike had much less of an effect on heat than it did on my BMW K1200GT. That bike would ROAST my heels when I had the cat. No heat at all with the Remus exhaust. I have not noticed as large of a difference with this bike.

And my thighs still fry on a hot day.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:28 PM
hodgeaaco
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLS2FLH
My 2010 FLHTK still has the CAT and after going w/Fuelmoto Stage 1 there is a significant difference in operating temperature. Performance wise, much more linear feeling bike. Less than 700 for the package. Recommended!
+1 ...FuelMoto's website has some info on heat differences, I think it was somewhere in the 100+ additional degrees at the head.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:08 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks guys - I certainly appreciate your input.

John

Quick Reply: Stage 1 with Catalytic Converter........