Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins or Ricor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I made my check out for tomorrows mail for the Ohlins #3~3's. spent my time talking to Howard@motorcyclemetal.com Howard. And he returned questions to me by phone. I am looking forward to my choice.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:15 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 Road Glide Custom length

Would like to hear what owners are using for a length shock on this bike?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:19 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I'm sure one of the Ricor folks who post here will correct me if I'm mistaken, but I tend to think that the IAS technology used in their shocks eliminates some of the need for the compression and rebound adjustability.

Years ago, I had a car that I drove on the street and raced on a track. The adjustable suspension was a must-have, since the demands on the street were very different than the demands on the track (and then there were the variations in different tracks). I needed to be able to dial in more compliance for daily driving, and I could afford to tighten things up on smooth tracks.

The need for that sort of adjustability on a street-ridden touring bike is close to nil, and I'd wager that most people who ponied up the money for adjustable shocks never touch them once they've got them set. And why would they? How often would you really adjust those things, and for what reason? The key for 99% of the people out there is the ability to adjust for different loads (solo, 2-up, loaded for a trip).

With the Ricor's ability to adapt to differing surfaces, and the way that it isolates the chassis, I think that the adjustability would be wasted on a 900 pound touring bike. Different story entirely on an XR1200 or a Monster, though I still don't think many people would mess with the adjustments.

Hell, most people have no idea how to adjust their preload.

Anyway, point being that anything is going to be an improvement over the stock shocks. Based on several factors, the Ricors were an easy decision, and one that I don't regret at all.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:32 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The possibility of getting a high quality shock has been on my mind for awhile. Does Ohlin or Ricor have demo shocks they ship? I am having trouble picking any shock at any price without trying one first.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:37 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Ricor's got a money-back guaranty, and they'll re-spring it for you if you're not happy with what you order.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:36 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dampening adjustment vs. IAS

Originally Posted by '05Train
I'm sure one of the Ricor folks who post here will correct me if I'm mistaken, but I tend to think that the IAS technology used in their shocks eliminates some of the need for the compression and rebound adjustability.

Years ago, I had a car that I drove on the street and raced on a track. The adjustable suspension was a must-have, since the demands on the street were very different than the demands on the track (and then there were the variations in different tracks). I needed to be able to dial in more compliance for daily driving, and I could afford to tighten things up on smooth tracks.

The need for that sort of adjustability on a street-ridden touring bike is close to nil, and I'd wager that most people who ponied up the money for adjustable shocks never touch them once they've got them set. And why would they? How often would you really adjust those things, and for what reason? The key for 99% of the people out there is the ability to adjust for different loads (solo, 2-up, loaded for a trip).

With the Ricor's ability to adapt to differing surfaces, and the way that it isolates the chassis, I think that the adjustability would be wasted on a 900 pound touring bike. Different story entirely on an XR1200 or a Monster, though I still don't think many people would mess with the adjustments.

Hell, most people have no idea how to adjust their preload.

Anyway, point being that anything is going to be an improvement over the stock shocks. Based on several factors, the Ricors were an easy decision, and one that I don't regret at all.
You are probably right but is the extra cost for the Ohlins for The dampening adjustment? This is a hard decision not being able to see or try them .

Old 05-13-2010, 01:45 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

You might also consider the Ohlins #2-3, which has less adjustability than the #3 but you may not need it. I have the #2-3 (13¼"), which cost $516 shipped last September, and these shocks don't need any adjustability. The ride and control are both superb in solo riding, loaded or otherwise. I can't say if the added adjustability would be an asset for a combination of solo and 2-up, loaded and unloaded.

The ride is amazing with these shocks. I can look down at the road and see small imperfections and bumps in the road, but I don't even feel them in the seat of my pants. It's as if they don't exist. This allows you to ride longer without "monkey butt" and I don't need to attach my backrest as often now since the ride is so much easier on my back.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:09 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by iclick
You might also consider the Ohlins #2-3, which has less adjustability than the #3 but you may not need it. I have the #2-3 (13¼"), which cost $516 shipped last September, and these shocks don't need any adjustability. The ride and control are both superb in solo riding, loaded or otherwise. I can't say if the added adjustability would be an asset for a combination of solo and 2-up, loaded and unloaded.

The ride is amazing with these shocks. I can look down at the road and see small imperfections and bumps in the road, but I don't even feel them in the seat of my pants. It's as if they don't exist. This allows you to ride longer without "monkey butt" and I don't need to attach my backrest as often now since the ride is so much easier on my back.
I can echo this exactly in regards to the Ricors. I can't fathom why I'd ever need to adjust rebound or compression on them. The preload does plenty.