Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Autotune or not to autotune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Shark92976
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Autotune or not to autotune?

Anybody have any experience with a power commander PCV with and without the Autotuner? What were the major advantages of using an autotuner? Did the bike run any better/different with it installed? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:06 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

This is a mixed bag. Some people love and others don't. If i were planning on Autotune, I would get a TTS and do it that way. TTS is $425 for one bike. That being said since you already have a PCV, do some research.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Shark92976
Novice

I'm looking for answers more directed towards the actual benefits of the autotune compared to not using one. Is it worth the money? This is research isn't it?

Old 05-12-2010, 11:25 AM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shark92976
Anybody have any experience with a power commander PCV with and without the Autotuner? What were the major advantages of using an autotuner? Did the bike run any better/different with it installed? Thanks in advance.

look for or search for post by iclick he has the whole story from day #1 on pcv autotune
you name it he's tried it. and has some really good info.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:29 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

First, TTS isn't part of the OP's question, but since it's been brought up it should be emphasized that it does not auto-tune. It works with the stock narrow-band O2 sensors and will allow closed-loop operation in about half the throttle range, not beyond about 50% TP, just like stock. It's also limited by the AFR range, as in closed-loop it can't read richer than 14.2:1. That would work for many, including me, but some want richer AFR's in the cruise range.

PCV-AT is different in that it auto-tunes AFR's throughout the RPM/TP range and between 11.0-16.0:1, well within the range of anyone's requirements. It is more accurate than the PCV alone because it tunes on the fly, i.e. in real time, but I doubt seriously if anyone will notice a difference compared to a PCV without AT that is properly tuned.

Where AT fits in well is for riders who will be making changes to their configuration over time, like a cam change, and don't want to dyno-tune after every mod. With AT you just do the mod and ride. Ignition timing may need some adjustment, as that doesn't auto-tune, but it usually doesn't require a dyno-tune to optimize. Keep in mind that the bike's stock knock-sensor is fully functional with the PCV with or without AT.

AT is also for people like me who are addicted to tweaking. For example, I like to maximize mileage without affecting roll-on performance, and although you don't need AT or even a PCV to do this the AT upgrade makes it much easier. Using it with a map switch allows toggling between open-loop and closed-loop modes on the fly, and that's a big plus for me, as you can tune the base map rich for cooling, leaner in AT-mode for mileage. The PCV alone with allow toggling between two base maps.

Here are two links that might help:

PCV-AT, install and first impression

Tweaking the PCV-AT for mileage

Last edited by iclick; 05-12-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Shark92976
Novice

This is exactly what I was looking for, Thanks!!

Old 05-12-2010, 12:50 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

IClicks got it down pat. The PCV with AT is great for people that want to plug it in and ride their scoot. The TTS with V tune is great for the people hat like to keep tweaking their bikes. I know peole that Y-Tune get their bike running sweet and still have to keep messing with hings. Always looking for more. It's a fine hobby, but if you'd rather ride and don't want to learn a whole lot about VE tables, timing and all that, get the PCV with AT and enjoy your bike.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:25 PM
WI Bob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plus one on what I-click said about the PCV autotune.

I haven't played with the TTS....yet.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I've only had mine for about a month. I really can't say for sure yet whether I'd recommend it to someone else. I'm still trying to figure out how it all works. I had a fuelpak on my bike previously, but it can't handle most cam changes, so I went with a Power Commander V. I haven't really seen any change in performance, other than a loss in fuel mileage. I know I could email fuel moto for map help, but haven't done that yet, so it's certainly not their fault. I'm letting the bike autotune and accepting the trims periodically, hoping to see what that does before I start monkeying around with the map.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Shark92976
Novice

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
I've only had mine for about a month. I really can't say for sure yet whether I'd recommend it to someone else. I'm still trying to figure out how it all works. I had a fuelpak on my bike previously, but it can't handle most cam changes, so I went with a Power Commander V. I haven't really seen any change in performance, other than a loss in fuel mileage. I know I could email fuel moto for map help, but haven't done that yet, so it's certainly not their fault. I'm letting the bike autotune and accepting the trims periodically, hoping to see what that does before I start monkeying around with the map.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just learning about EFI. Doesn't the PCV autotune use the installed map as the basis for the autotuning? So if you did a cam swap it would still only tune the AFR to stay in the range of the specified in the MAP. so if your map was a little lean, which it doesn't appear that it is according to your fuel mileage, but if it was I could see how a tweaked fuel map would help. Or does it adjust itself to run the most effieciently? Does fuel mileage mean it's running rich?, or could it be that the MAP you currently have needs tweaking to run optimum, and then let the autotune keep it within those ranges in "real time"?

Hope that made sense!

Quick Reply: To Autotune or not to autotune?