Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Autotune or not to autotune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:38 PM
ScreamineagleSERG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yes to auto tune

I have rechecked the map corrections and yes PC-V auto tune does the job. The key is a good dyno tune base you start with. Jamie @ Fuel Moto did the tune and the corrections were very minor due to the spot on dyno base map.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Shark92976
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had already decided before I posted this that my bike was going to Fuel Moto. The only question was whether it is worth the extra money for the Autotune kit. So far I can see a slight advantage to having it (IE; it tunes at real time to keep the AFR in range).

Old 05-12-2010, 06:53 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark92976
Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just learning about EFI. Doesn't the PCV autotune use the installed map as the basis for the autotuning? So if you did a cam swap it would still only tune the AFR to stay in the range of the specified in the MAP. so if your map was a little lean, which it doesn't appear that it is according to your fuel mileage, but if it was I could see how a tweaked fuel map would help. Or does it adjust itself to run the most effieciently? Does fuel mileage mean it's running rich?, or could it be that the MAP you currently have needs tweaking to run optimum, and then let the autotune keep it within those ranges in "real time"?

Hope that made sense!
You tell the auto tune what Air Fuel you want it to acheive in certain load and RPM ranges. You can have it run lean in cruising for fuel economy and richer in higher load and RPM ranges. That is the target, autotune will automatically make the A/F ajusments to get to the target. So if you tell it to target 14.2:1 A/F in your cruising ranges, it will adjust A/F to get you there. Just because his bike lost fuel economy does't mean he has the wrong MAP, he just might be targeting a leaner A/F than his fuel pack was. I spoke with tech support at DynoJet and believe it or not, the still recomend dyno tuning it before running the autotune. You don't have to sart with the right MAP, but the closer you can get to your build the better off you'll be.