Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

im tired of paying the STEALERS

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:50 AM
fulldraw00
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im tired of paying the STEALERS

i want to install chrome fork lowers and uppers on my 06 roadking, i own a service manual and know my way around a tool box..is this a difficult job? are there things or special tools that i need to know about...stealer wants about a grand to do the job but i can get the parts for about 450.00 doesnt seem to be a too difficult job..am i right??
thanks in advance

Old 05-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not too difficult with the proper tools and the service manual. I did my Wide Glide lowers in about two hours. You have more to remove on a touring bike, the the suspension piece is pretty much the same. Make sure you have a socket for the large nut on top of the forks and the proper allen wrench for the bottom.

I did mine on the bike. No need to remove the forks that way and no bench vice needed. If you leave the forks on, leave the fender on until you break loose the hex nuts on the bottom of the forks.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:18 AM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 56 Posts

With the service manual and proper tools, you should not have a problem...some tips I would like to share:
> Take your time
> Read the manual and or instructions before starting..get a pretty good understanding of the project
> Get some plastic zip lock bags for small bolts and pieces - label the bags with a sharpie
> Masking tape and sharpie marker are good to label larger items

Hope this help you

Old 05-12-2010, 11:57 AM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I did all the work except replace the springs and fill with fluid. I had a dealer do it for about $120. The rest is just turning wrenches without the need of special tools. I believe you need to compress the springs to get them back in. Not sure how hard that is, but I was confident about everything but that.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:21 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,274 Likes on 1,314 Posts

Originally Posted by ktm_scott
Make sure you have a socket for the large nut on top of the forks and the proper allen wrench for the bottom.

Little tip for you.

If you need to buy that big socket, or any other tools to do the job, get them from Sears and get 50% off on your purchase when you get an instant Sears credit card.

When the credit card bill comes in, pay it and send in a notice of cancellation for the credit card.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:22 PM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

The stock springs are easy to compress. The lowering kit springs are much more difficult though.
Disassembly while left on the bike makes it easier to do as well.
The HD forks are old technology and are as simple as forks get.

A seal driver is the only special tool you'll need.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:29 PM
faapilot
Cruiser

AND...be sure to cover any body parts on the scoot that can get "Dented" or "Dinged" with a thick pad BEFORE starting to work...

Good luck and Ride Safe....

Old 05-12-2010, 02:06 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

UltraKla$$ic did a whole thread with pictures of a chrome front end install on his Ultra. Search for the thread and read it, it is full of valuable info.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:25 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDaddyMike
UltraKla$$ic did a whole thread with pictures of a chrome front end install on his Ultra. Search for the thread and read it, it is full of valuable info.

HERE
you go, had it in my favorites still

Old 05-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy job - a little time consuming.
I believe I used my rear axle wrench for the top fork nut. Loosen (don't remove) before removing the tubes. Same with the lower damper bolts.
Also - I think it's a little easier taking the tubes out of the triple trees for the swap. That way you can get the proper oil level, and it makes it possible to use a proper size PVC seal installer. Yes - I said PVC (from Home Depot).
It can also be a bit tough getting that top fork nut back on with the springs tension.
Don't forget to put the cowbells on before you re-install the forks!
And get the heavier fork oil (I think it's Screaming Eagle). It's what should be stock in there.
It's all pretty straight forward, and you'll save a boatload of cash!

Quick Reply: im tired of paying the STEALERS