Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

twin cam motors are junk

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010 | 08:47 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 07JakeelwoodHD
I dont think union workers had anything to due with your engine problems I do know they had problems with 05 TC with oil not draining properly from the heads they had to rebuild my friends motor....
Another good reason to run synthetics. Yeah, I'm an AmWhore.

Old 05-12-2010 | 09:48 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Well, without union negotiated wages, they wouldn't cost $20K. Thanks UAW!
Well, yes they would, because that's what people will pay for them. The UAW has never been able to get management to hold-off on vehicle price increases if the union holds-off on wage (or benefit) increases.
If you own a 2010 HD, it was made by UAW represented wokers who have probably made some serious wage concessions.

Old 05-12-2010 | 10:01 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RK4ME
Well, yes they would, because that's what people will pay for them. The UAW has never been able to get management to hold-off on vehicle price increases if the union holds-off on wage (or benefit) increases.
If you own a 2010 HD, it was made by UAW represented wokers who have probably made some serious wage concessions.
Sure, because other costs go up too.

Old 05-12-2010 | 10:03 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

I'd like to point out that at least 1 2010 model is *cheaper* than the 2009 model - 2010 FLSTC is $1K cheaper than the 2009

Old 05-12-2010 | 10:10 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Why should the savings from concessions *only* be used for price reduction? What about increased R&D, more marketing, investing in other markets (India), etc.

Old 05-12-2010 | 10:36 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

Sounds like he's got a case of the "last motor was better" syndrome. The EVO was better than the twin cam, the shovel was better than the EVO and so on... When the next generation of Harley motors comes out people will be longing for the good old days of the twin cam.

Old 05-12-2010 | 10:39 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by highwayman1224
My piece of junk is getting a 103 build done this week. Can't wait to get my piece of junk back & see how junkie it runs.
lmao!!!! I guess we're all stuck with our junk bikes We'll never be able to sell them, after all, who would want one?

Old 05-12-2010 | 10:41 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

Yea, I hate it when that happens. I'm on my second set of cam tensionsers, and I went with the hydraulic ones on this go around. But I'm at about 80K. No problems with valves or top end, and everything below is still solid. I'm already wishing I'd sprung for the extra and gone with gear drive setup though. If you're even remotely considering keeping it, I'd strongly recommend it. Then it really would be bulletproof. Just bite the bullet and fix her up. You'll be fine.

Old 05-12-2010 | 11:02 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

I say send me your crap motor. I need one to build while I'm riding my current one

Old 05-13-2010 | 04:15 AM
White Knight 04
Road Master

Hell you did good !! I changed my cams at 24k and they were on there way out but I accepted this as a weak spot and went to gear drive and the good bearings and walla pretty much bullet proof in that area.. Stiffen up the upper lip and fix it right !!!

Quick Reply: twin cam motors are junk