Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brembo Brakes.....What's the best pad??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:45 PM
fettnersa
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brembo Brakes.....What's the best pad??

I used Lyndall brake pads on my 06 but I'm not sure they are the best choice for the Brembo brakes. Any suggestions from folks that have used them on the new bikes? Is anything better then the stock brake dust spreaders?

Old 05-11-2010, 09:53 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I put Brembo brakes off an 08 on the front of my 07 Road Glide. Put the Z-plus pads on and they've been great pads. Very little dust and absolutely no squeaks.

From the Lynall site: http://www.lyndallracingbrakes.com/apps.htm

What makes Lyndall so special?
LYNDALL pads are of the Carbon-Kevlar variety. They contain a premium blend of DuPont Carbon-Kevlar, nonferrous metal with a high transfer rate. Once the pad material has transferred a layer to the rotor, the rotor becomes one big brake pad, stopping against the two smaller brake pads positioned in the caliper. The result: incredible STOPPING POWER, NO DUST, NO NOISE, NO DRAG, NO MEASUREABLE ROTOR WEAR, and the HIGHEST SERVICE LIFE of any pad on the market.
WHICH PAD SHOULD I USE ON MY MOTORCYCLE?

If you are running stock tires, stock chassis and your bike is set up for stock horsepower then you should use the Z Plus pads, as they will provide as much stopping torque as the stock tires and suspension can effectively manage. The Z Plus pads will provide a noticeable upgrade to the stopping power over the stock pads.
If you are running aftermarket tires, high performance engine, have tuned your chassis (i.e. Gold emulator valves, upgrade shocks, etc.), or ride with a lot of gear or passengers on your bike, we recommend the Gold Plus compound as it is better designed to provide the most stopping power under any riding conditions.
If you are using our Metal Matrix Composite (MMC) Rotors then we recommend our Red Plus pads as they are designed to provide the most stopping power and longest service life of any other known organic pad. Our Gold Plus will also work with the MMC Rotors.

GOLD+ COMPOUND

The Gold Plus pads are a DuPont Carbon-Kevlar (Organic) compound and is our latest advancement in high performance friction materials. This racing formula offers extreme stopping power in both wet and dry conditions. This is as close as a full race pad as you can get without it actually being a race pad. We softened the compound to make it better for street riding while still providing premium stopping power. The Gold Plus pads are ideal for heavy touring and hard stopping. It produces no dust, no noise, and no rotor wear while providing 30% more stopping torque than the stock pads. The service life generally averages about 18,000 miles.

RED+ COMPOUND

The Red Plus pads combine DuPont Carbon-Kevlar and a higher percentage of iron. They are specifically designed to provide the highest level of stopping power on a Metal Matrix Composite (MMC) Rotor. For stainless steel rotors please refer to our Red Plus and Gold Plus compounds as they will provide a longer and cleaner service life. When used with Metal Matrix Composite Rotors the Red Plus pads are dust free, noise free, and cause no measureable rotor wear. The service life generally averages 12,000 miles.

Z+ COMPOUND

To develop the Z+ compound we started with a racing brake pad material and worked our way backwards. We wanted to provide the optimum stopping power that was suitable for everyday general purpose riding. Our Z+ pads are a DuPont Carbon-Kevlar (organic) compound that will work as well right out of a driveway as it does after a long day of hard riding. This is the most rotor friendly pad in the industry. It produces no dust, no noise, while providing 20% more stopping torque than the stock pads. The service life generally averages about 18,000 miles.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:25 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I'm using Lyndall Z+ pads on the Limited with no dust and no issues.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:36 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 72,249 Likes on 21,824 Posts

I would think if you have Brembo brakes then you should use OEM and that would probably mean Brembo pads or whoever makes them for Brembo?

Maybe that is the question, does Brembo make their own pads or contract them out?

Old 05-12-2010, 08:17 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I started using DP pads about 15k miles ago and could not be happier, quiet and dust free.

DP also packages their pad for Drag Specialty

http://www.dp-brakes.com/profile.php

Old 05-12-2010, 08:38 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sifularson
I put Brembo brakes off an 08 on the front of my 07 Road Glide. Put the Z-plus pads on and they've been great pads. Very little dust and absolutely no squeaks.

From the Lynall site: http://www.lyndallracingbrakes.com/apps.htm

What makes Lyndall so special?
LYNDALL pads are of the Carbon-Kevlar variety. They contain a premium blend of DuPont Carbon-Kevlar, nonferrous metal with a high transfer rate. Once the pad material has transferred a layer to the rotor, the rotor becomes one big brake pad, stopping against the two smaller brake pads positioned in the caliper. The result: incredible STOPPING POWER, NO DUST, NO NOISE, NO DRAG, NO MEASUREABLE ROTOR WEAR, and the HIGHEST SERVICE LIFE of any pad on the market.
WHICH PAD SHOULD I USE ON MY MOTORCYCLE?

If you are running stock tires, stock chassis and your bike is set up for stock horsepower then you should use the Z Plus pads, as they will provide as much stopping torque as the stock tires and suspension can effectively manage. The Z Plus pads will provide a noticeable upgrade to the stopping power over the stock pads.
If you are running aftermarket tires, high performance engine, have tuned your chassis (i.e. Gold emulator valves, upgrade shocks, etc.), or ride with a lot of gear or passengers on your bike, we recommend the Gold Plus compound as it is better designed to provide the most stopping power under any riding conditions.
If you are using our Metal Matrix Composite (MMC) Rotors then we recommend our Red Plus pads as they are designed to provide the most stopping power and longest service life of any other known organic pad. Our Gold Plus will also work with the MMC Rotors.

GOLD+ COMPOUND

The Gold Plus pads are a DuPont Carbon-Kevlar (Organic) compound and is our latest advancement in high performance friction materials. This racing formula offers extreme stopping power in both wet and dry conditions. This is as close as a full race pad as you can get without it actually being a race pad. We softened the compound to make it better for street riding while still providing premium stopping power. The Gold Plus pads are ideal for heavy touring and hard stopping. It produces no dust, no noise, and no rotor wear while providing 30% more stopping torque than the stock pads. The service life generally averages about 18,000 miles.

RED+ COMPOUND

The Red Plus pads combine DuPont Carbon-Kevlar and a higher percentage of iron. They are specifically designed to provide the highest level of stopping power on a Metal Matrix Composite (MMC) Rotor. For stainless steel rotors please refer to our Red Plus and Gold Plus compounds as they will provide a longer and cleaner service life. When used with Metal Matrix Composite Rotors the Red Plus pads are dust free, noise free, and cause no measureable rotor wear. The service life generally averages 12,000 miles.

Z+ COMPOUND

To develop the Z+ compound we started with a racing brake pad material and worked our way backwards. We wanted to provide the optimum stopping power that was suitable for everyday general purpose riding. Our Z+ pads are a DuPont Carbon-Kevlar (organic) compound that will work as well right out of a driveway as it does after a long day of hard riding. This is the most rotor friendly pad in the industry. It produces no dust, no noise, while providing 20% more stopping torque than the stock pads. The service life generally averages about 18,000 miles.
Thank you for the link Brother. I saved it to my favorites. It's almost time for new pads.....

Old 05-12-2010, 08:54 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Put Lyndall Z on my 08 and they sucked. No dust but no stopping power either. Rear squealed worse than the stock pads. Went back to stock pads and a little dab of high temp silicone on the pistons.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:49 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,134 Likes on 1,797 Posts

I run stock pads on Brembos, Lyndalls on 07 and earlier Nissin brakes.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:52 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 72,249 Likes on 21,824 Posts

Originally Posted by DuraGlide
Put Lyndall Z on my 08 and they sucked. No dust but no stopping power either. Rear squealed worse than the stock pads. Went back to stock pads and a little dab of high temp silicone on the pistons.
+1, wasn't impressed to say the least.