Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Tuner and Smart Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:23 AM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default smarttune vs. Pc5 with AT

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Smarttune is not the same as getting a dyno tune but it is a very useful tool, even for a tech. The algorithyms in the software essentially evaluate data taken from your riding to evaluate how close the VE tables are delivering against the AFR table for the bike.

A dyno tune does the same thing except that the tech is making the VE adjustments based on training and experience vs the software that uses programmed formulas. A dyno tune also includes adjustments to many ofther parameters such as timing , decel, accel, warmup tables etc. Neither Smarttune or Vtune software has algorithyms for these other adjustments (it would be great if they did).

The issue with a dyno tune is that it is very dependent on the capability of the tech, which varies tremendously. If your tech isn't making adjustments to timing as a part of your bike's tuning, you're probably better off just using Smarttune.

The tech that's good and makes the major adjustments to max performance for your build can also use Smarttune for the final steps in the tune. The algorithyms in the software perform the same without variability and are really just adjusting the VE tables based on your O2 sensors output during data runs to match the expected AFRs in the bikes map.

Neither Smarttune or Vtune are going to know if your timing, AFRs or other parameters are correct. But once a good tuner has set the map up (or if a base map is already working well for your bike) than the auto-tuning software can absolutely smooth out the performance and in many cases can measurably improve it by making final adjustments to the VE tables.
What would you say is the better setup for the guy that wants to not go to the dyno. The pc5 from Fuel Moto or the tuner with Smarttune? I assume the base map for both has had the timing adjusted and they are both capable of only adjusting VE tables automaticly. I also am interested in knowing if the PC5 without autotune is the same as using the new supertuner with a base map and not using the smarttune feature?

Old 05-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrolock43
What would you say is the better setup for the guy that wants to not go to the dyno. The pc5 from Fuel Moto or the tuner with Smarttune? I assume the base map for both has had the timing adjusted and they are both capable of only adjusting VE tables automaticly. I also am interested in knowing if the PC5 without autotune is the same as using the new supertuner with a base map and not using the smarttune feature?
I really don't know anything about the PC5 so I'm not in a position to make a recommendation vs the SEST. If you have an extended warranty or the OEM warranty still in effect, you may want to check with your dealer. Mine informed me they wouldn't cover any engine damage if I was using a tuning software other than the SEST which was the primary reason I went with the ST.

If your engine is mostly stock (A/C and exhaust), I think the base map that goes with your build plus using Smarttune is going to give you about the same performance/cooler engine/fuel economy as a professional dyno tune. If you're going to upgrade cams, heads, pistons, injectors, TB or other major engine components, then my recommendation is to get it professionally dyno-tuned. Since you'll already need the tuning software for the upgraded engine, you can use Smarttune (SEST) or V-tune (TTS) to cleanup the pro's map even further after riding the bike to collect some data runs.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:51 PM
looneycanuk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would stick with the SE software. It seems that there are generally more problems with the aftermarket stuff in the longer run.

But, I too have minimal knowledge with aftermarket tuners -- Daytona TwinTec is my exception as I use it to log data from the SERT and Super Tuner.

Originally Posted by hydrolock43