Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS or Accessory Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010 | 01:29 PM
Casper
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default GPS or Accessory Wiring

OK guys, I have a 2010 RG. I wired my GPS to the two (hot & Ground) wires that run off the headlight sockets ( european use) and this sounded good at the time. However the bike is at the dealership having the fairing realigned ( took me almost 2 hours to reinstall the outer fairing and it's not right yet, what a major PITA)..and I never want to go back inside that fairing again. So I'm having the dealership disconnect the GPS wiring while they are in there...never will I go back inside that black hole again....

So my question is, where under the seat can I hook the GPS for power? I know there is a accessory plug for the acc switch, but then I would have to have my acc switch in the on position for use. Is there somewhere else? Is there a plug that's only hot with the key switched on?

Trying to think ahead, if I sell the bike or if I have to replace the fuse, or get a new GPS, I want EASY access...not inside that ****** fairing....

Any ideas or insight would be great...

Thanks all.

Old 05-11-2010 | 01:31 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

I ran mine straight off the battery posts, under the tank and up to the bars.

Old 05-11-2010 | 01:41 PM
jonthefireman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ktm_scott
I ran mine straight off the battery posts, under the tank and up to the bars.
Did the same thing, worked out great. Bought a little inline fuse that I ran between the battery and GPS hot wire, no issue in 5 years with that set up.

Old 05-11-2010 | 01:49 PM
Casper
|
Seasoned HDF Member

My concern running off the battery:
1. the mount would always be hot, any issues with rain, or hot spark/grounding when the GPS is not in the cradle?
2. I also have to hook a battery tender and Gerbings connection, will run out of room on the battery posts quick.

Old 05-11-2010 | 02:03 PM
JoeN
Tourer

I used a powerlet socket (bmw type) directly from the battery, under the gas tank, and secured on the left handle bar. It has a fuse. no problems, and when the gps is not in use you can plug in your gerbings. The socket is pretty water tite.

Old 05-11-2010 | 02:22 PM
Casper
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JoeN
I used a powerlet socket (bmw type) directly from the battery, under the gas tank, and secured on the left handle bar. It has a fuse. no problems, and when the gps is not in use you can plug in your gerbings. The socket is pretty water tite.
yes looking at that...http://www.powerletproducts.com/shop...et-kits/SKTKIT
they are good products.....

Old 05-11-2010 | 08:10 PM
Devo6684
Road Captain

I went to my local HD looking for some ideas and the service manager hooked my up with a motorcycle accessory pack that included a cig light socket that ran directly to the battery. i ended up hooking this up andf have it behind my right side panel. I can use my existing GPS power cord (which I ran under my tank console to the front of the gas tank). Works great for me and it cost $29.99 or something like that. h, BTW, this cig socket also has an inline fuse built in.

Old 05-11-2010 | 08:50 PM
D2R
Banned

Just finished wiring up my Zumo,Sirius radio,and a power point on my Limited.The acc/aux plug's in the batt. box in front of the batt.The pigtail's not very long but easily accessed from up underneath the frame above the starter,don't confuse it with the diagnostic plug.It's a Deutsche connector with a rubber plug.I made a wiring harness with a piece of 18 gauge 4 cond. cable off off of a computer power supply.It's about 1/4 in in dia.Ran it down the frame along the clutch cable and up under the fairing.Not wanting the power point on the handle bars or the fairing I used a piece of black 2 cond. 16 gauge flat cable ran it underneath the right side saddle bag guard into the gaurd rail bag.Don't even know it's there.Couple of zip ties holds the black cable to the clutch cable,very unnoticeable.The fuses for the Zumo and Sirius are in the batt. box,there seems to be a lot more room in the battery area than with my '08.Running off the batt. is easier but with the GPS,Sirius and acc. I'd have a dead batt. for sure at the least opportune time.I run my heated gear off the batt. but not going to take off and leave it pluggged in without me in it.

Last edited by D2R; 05-11-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2010 | 10:35 PM
Casper
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Devo6684
I went to my local HD looking for some ideas and the service manager hooked my up with a motorcycle accessory pack that included a cig light socket that ran directly to the battery. i ended up hooking this up andf have it behind my right side panel. I can use my existing GPS power cord (which I ran under my tank console to the front of the gas tank). Works great for me and it cost $29.99 or something like that. h, BTW, this cig socket also has an inline fuse built in.
This would work if my GPS wire had a cig socket on the end, but it's hardwired, just a positive and ground wire...which I like really.

Think I'm going to try and get a connector for the accessory plug under the seat and wire it there, only issure is I'll have to have my accessory switch in the "ON" position for it to have power....

Thanks all, more ideas welcome.