Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Warranty Good Experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:10 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Tire Warranty Good Experience

I have to admit, I didn't pay much attention to the warranty paperwork when I bought my 09 SG. I knew at the time that I wanted the extended service plan due to the 103 kit installed by the dealer...and added the tire warranty because my last scoot picked up a police tire spike in San Diego within the first 500 miles. Tires are expensive....

I figured though that the tire warranty would only cover the first set of tires from the factory. I figured that was out the window when I changed tires a month or so ago.

As of last weekend I had 1500 miles on a new Dunlop D407 (same as stock) rear tire that I mounted myself and installed dynabeads to balance. Somehow I ran over a piece of wood and got a 1" by 3" piece stuck right in the center of my new rear tire. I figured I was hosed. I figured I was going to be out for full retail value on the tire as well because I have a trip planned for this weekend and needed a tire ASAP...no time to order one.

I reluctantly trodded off to my local dealer I had previously sworn off to beg for sympathy....if absolutely necessary. To my amazement, the service manager said it would be covered...parts and labor. He said the only problem was that he was booked solid through the 19th of May. Not good for my trip. I asked if he minded if I pulled the wheel and brought it to him and he could just mount the tire. He agreed and the deed was done less than 2 hours later. I was back on the road by the end of the day.

I hear a lot of moaning about HD, MOCO, dealerships, and warranty coverage. I have done a little moaning about all of the above. It's only fair to post the positives when they occur.

Thanks to New Bern HD and the Tire Warranty for helping salvage my trip without offering up my first born...

Old 05-11-2010, 11:40 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to hear a happy ending warranty story for a change!!!!

Old 05-11-2010, 11:44 AM
RED RUM
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by strtarrow
Good to hear a happy ending warranty story for a change!!!!
good to here....

Old 05-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds great for you, but my dealer told me I am out of luck because I have "non-HD rims"...............and I assume "non HD tires".

Your dealer is still a *****, he should have changed the tire for you. Even my dealer does that.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:33 PM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I was told at the time of sale that if the tire warranty goes unused for the duration, that HD would refund the cost of the warranty. Not sure if that is true or not. Anyone else here have experience with that?

Old 05-11-2010, 12:38 PM
69z28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used mine twice in 4k mi.The bike was a month old when I picked up a nail then again a few weeks ago.Didn't cost anything but what I paid for the insurance,but I figure that's paid for itself.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:07 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
Your dealer is still a *****, he should have changed the tire for you. Even my dealer does that.
True. If I was home in Texas, where I bought the bike, it probably wouldn't have been a problem. But, I'm stationed in NC and the dealership here consists of 3 mechanics and normally no hurry to get anything done.

Hey, I was just happy I got the tire for free and they didn't charge me for mounting it on the rim. Saved me some time and a lot of money. Considering some of my past dealings with the service manager I figured I'd at least speak up that they did something better than normal.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:56 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by 09StreetGlider
True. If I was home in Texas, where I bought the bike, it probably wouldn't have been a problem. But, I'm stationed in NC and the dealership here consists of 3 mechanics and normally no hurry to get anything done.

Hey, I was just happy I got the tire for free and they didn't charge me for mounting it on the rim. Saved me some time and a lot of money. Considering some of my past dealings with the service manager I figured I'd at least speak up that they did something better than normal.
My understanding of the warranty is that once you make the call, they'll come get the bike and change the tire. "We're busy" isn't an acceptable excuse.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:28 PM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 09StreetGlider

I'm glad you did speak up about a good dealership or at least a good deed by the service manager, they get slammed all the time and there are some good guys out there. Every is quick to complain, how many times do we give praise. Even when you give praise some of the other posters just can't be happy for you, they still want to slam the dealer. I think they are just jealous that they don't have a good dealer. Now they will slam me!!!!

Last edited by imskier2; 05-11-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:57 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I reluctently bought the tire warranty when I bought my 09 Ultra. In a couple of months I had my first tire problem in 65k miles. screw in the real tire. took it to the dealership and although it wasn't flat, it was fixed at no out of pocket cost. the bill was a little over $400 if I didn't have the policy. No mater how many flats you get they are covered as long as the tread is legal. all dealerships will honor the warrantee. bent rims are covered too.

Quick Reply: Tire Warranty Good Experience