Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS or no ABS

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:16 PM
stevent
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it on my '08 FLHT, works like a charm on wet roads and is practically invisible the rest of the time. Coupled with the triple disc Brembo's I think it's an excellent system and it's nice to have an HD that stops as well as my sport bikes. I suppose if someone dislikes it that much they could always buy a bike without ABS or get an older master cylinder and calipers and do away with it.

I'm sold on it myself and I don't think I'd buy another bike or cage without ABS, I get caught it the rain too much....

Old 05-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OregonRoadKing
ABS is absolutely worth the money. They have helped me a number of times including the time a deer bolted in front of me. Without ABS it would have been ugly. Plus, it helps keep the back tire from skidding in fast stops in heavy traffic conditions.
Do I have this correct? It's the "ABS" that keeps a back tire from skidding in fast stops in heavy traffic conditions? Sorry, but if you're locking up the tire in those situations, I'd be more concerned about rider skills having a far larger effect in that equation. Since the vast majority of braking power comes from the front, what's with the heavy reliance on rear brakes? Been riding for years and I can count on one hand how many times I've locked up the rear. Is it I am looking way ahead, predicting, covering the brakes, paying attention, who knows for sure, but I truly don't get why rear lock ups are frequently mentioned.

One odd observation I've made over the years. The MSF and others really get their panties in a wad about people covering their brakes. I signed my girl up for that Ride-Like-A-Pro class and I took it with her. The instructor was on my case about having a couple fingers 'covering' the front brake asking me if I came from dirt or sport bike riding. Yes to both. She claims I need all four fingers for maximum power. My response was you only need enough fingers to brake to the point of lock-up. If you can lock the wheel with two fingers, why in hell would you want to more fingers chiming in. You adjust your skills to your abilities. Learn how to brake so you don't lock it up. Locking it up should be an extremely rare occurrence at best.

ABS should be an insurance policy, not a crutch. Let's not let technology make us lazy in our skills. Just sayin'!

Old 05-16-2010, 09:21 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Butcher
ABS should be an insurance policy, not a crutch. Let's not let technology make us lazy in our skills. Just sayin'!
Well put.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:08 AM
tmcgeesr
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm "Old School" with over 200,000 miles in bikes and over 40 years of riding. One of the things that shocked me when I bought my first Harley was "many riders never use the front brake" which is "Lunacy" IMHO. I for one never (almost never) use the rear brake. I only do when I'm worried about the back end coming around. I then will use it to keep the bike straight. As has been said by others, over 75% of your stopping power is with the front brake. And yes, I two finger cover the front brake when riding.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:05 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I got mine with ABS because of all the rain we have here. The only time it has kicked in was in a dry,vacant parking lot while I was testing it to get the feel of it and make sure it was working. That was right after I bought it.

I'm sold on them.