Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you get your bike redynoed ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 04:45 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

To give you an idea of how my bike was tuned, I believe (I can double check if you like) Dave did around 95 pulls to get it where it is.

Yes, I would have that retuned by someone who knows what they're doing. I'm making no judgments here, but you can't tune a bike with 4 pulls.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:32 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont remember how many pulls were done on mine but it ran like a raped ape but the drive ability in town sucked.. So since its got a PCIII USB I just hooked up my laptop and fixed the thing.. All it cost me was a little time ..

Old 05-11-2010, 07:07 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your build consists of stage 1 with a cam. No head work, No big bore, Your numbers won't get much better then that. From what I can see from the chart your AFR is not that great IMHO. The duals are hurting you for sure. That torque dip is hard to tune out although I have seen it done. 4 pulls does not show me that your tuner was the best or even qualified. Whatever you do don't take it back to the same guy. How does it ride?

Old 05-11-2010, 08:17 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

The four pulls was just on his wide open throttle, I walked him through getting the MAP off the bike and he e-mailed it to me. I'm going to compare it to the canned base MAP they started with and see what adjustments were made. He is only an hour and a half from me, i'm going to talk to the owner of the shop I work for and see if we can start doing re-tunes for people that got hosed by other companies. Maybe do a quick "as received" pass then tune, if we don't improve it there will be NO charge. There are a few "dyno" shops around that are really ripping people off, then when they come to us and we recommend a re-tune they are rightfully leary about dropping another $250.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:58 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by harleytuner
The four pulls was just on his wide open throttle, I walked him through getting the MAP off the bike and he e-mailed it to me. I'm going to compare it to the canned base MAP they started with and see what adjustments were made. He is only an hour and a half from me, i'm going to talk to the owner of the shop I work for and see if we can start doing re-tunes for people that got hosed by other companies. Maybe do a quick "as received" pass then tune, if we don't improve it there will be NO charge. There are a few "dyno" shops around that are really ripping people off, then when they come to us and we recommend a re-tune they are rightfully leary about dropping another $250.
I have seen tuners here in town that charge $250 and spend a half an hour on a bike and call it tuned. Other shops charge the same $250 and spend hours on a bike and actually tune it. The sad part is the average guy doesn't know the difference.

Im glad to be back on a carb bike and do my own tuning.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:29 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
I have seen tuners here in town that charge $250 and spend a half an hour on a bike and call it tuned. Other shops charge the same $250 and spend hours on a bike and actually tune it. The sad part is the average guy doesn't know the difference.

Im glad to be back on a carb bike and do my own tuning.
A customer brought us his bike that supposedly got tuned at a shop about 2 hours from us, they spent 7 hours on it and it ran horribly. Here's the deal, there is all this talk that a tune should take 3 or 4 hours, or 5 hours or whatever. The bottom line is it depends on how close your base MAP is. Our shop has tons of MAPS, we save all of the MAPS we put on customers bikes, accept PC MAPS. When a customer bring his bike in we just search the database for a MAP close or the same as his build. Since that MAP has already been fully tuned it's a matter of tweaking it for his bike. If a MAP is close to start with, the tune usually takes between 2 and 3 hours. If it's some off the wall build we havn't tuned before, it could take longer. It's basically like Jamie at FuelMoto, he has his database of MAPS that he has tuned, when he sells his packages he suplies a MAP that was tuned on a similar build, the bike will run good like that no problems, but it could benefit from a full tune.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:40 AM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by harleytuner
A customer brought us his bike that supposedly got tuned at a shop about 2 hours from us, they spent 7 hours on it and it ran horribly. Here's the deal, there is all this talk that a tune should take 3 or 4 hours, or 5 hours or whatever. The bottom line is it depends on how close your base MAP is. Our shop has tons of MAPS, we save all of the MAPS we put on customers bikes, accept PC MAPS. When a customer bring his bike in we just search the database for a MAP close or the same as his build. Since that MAP has already been fully tuned it's a matter of tweaking it for his bike. If a MAP is close to start with, the tune usually takes between 2 and 3 hours. If it's some off the wall build we havn't tuned before, it could take longer. It's basically like Jamie at FuelMoto, he has his database of MAPS that he has tuned, when he sells his packages he suplies a MAP that was tuned on a similar build, the bike will run good like that no problems, but it could benefit from a full tune.
I agree, Your statement makes perfect sense.