Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring heat wrap

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 05:31 AM
rosscustomz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touring heat wrap

Other than different pipes on my 08, and saddle shields, could you , or rather would it benifit at all, wrap the pipes with header wrap to cut down on the heat that the passenger gets on her shins? I suppose I would try and make it look as inconspicuous as possible by maybe hiding it under the chrome heat shields and using black header wrap (my bike is black).

any thoughts? thanks in advance.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:23 AM
h_dmagic1
Intermediate

I've been thinking about this solution a little more pricey but should help with heat management and still look good. http://www.jet-hot.com/motorcycles.html

Old 05-10-2010, 06:37 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rosscustomz
Other than different pipes on my 08, and saddle shields, could you , or rather would it benifit at all, wrap the pipes with header wrap to cut down on the heat that the passenger gets on her shins? I suppose I would try and make it look as inconspicuous as possible by maybe hiding it under the chrome heat shields and using black header wrap (my bike is black).

any thoughts? thanks in advance.
I have an 07 Ultra, had the same heat problems as most here have. My solution ended up with a TTS Mastertune richer fuel map (plus K&N RK3910 filter kit), Jagg 10 row oil cooler, 09 stock header (requires 09 oil pan), the HD heat shields below my seat. And while I was putting on the 09 header, I used black exhaust wrap on header under the hrome heat shields (you really have to look to see it). Not sure I needed the exhaust wrap at that point, but it all seems to work well together in reducing the heat. I do know my wife doesn't feel the heat as much as she used to on her ankles and I don't fry my thighs anymore. It still gets hot, but the temperature is way down from stock. I really think the 09 pipe not having the y-pipe under the seat and the exhaust not running close to the passenger"s ankles made the biggest change.

But wrapping your stock header would be a small cost try.

Last edited by Hog Yild; 05-10-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:01 AM
chasswartz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wrapped mine, it did make a noticeable difference, the heat shields hid most of it. If I did it over I would use black wrap in stead of white.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:06 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the rear Rinehart w ceramic coating similiar to jet-hot which helps some ( they claim 30%). I had previously made some passenger floorboard extensions, got passenger peg riser similiar to Kury's adjustables and got the RJ Originals so I think I'm getting there. I've heard that the wrap gets wet and can or will rust your pipes eventually, probable take a long time.

Last edited by gmc; 05-10-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:03 AM
TeeDee
Intermediate

I just wrapped my pipes (because I couldn't get them in black) and it's made them allot cooler. I've been talking to others who have done the same and they have then put the heat shields over the wrap for the "look" and it's made them better again..
I was able to touch the wrap on my pipes a minute or so after a two hour ride, so the heat is considerably lower.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:47 AM
easycruzer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone on here a while back had pics of ceramic coating theirs, and according to them the difference was huge.
May want to look at that as an option.

Dave

Old 05-12-2010, 05:15 AM
rosscustomz
Advanced

Thanks guys for all the input and suggestions, now I've got some options on which direction Id like to go. I love this forum..............

Old 05-12-2010, 07:05 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

My pipes were wrapped because they were custom made for the big motor.The reason is because to protect the motor itself from close proximity,plus the side benifit is better for the wife,preventing melting shoes.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:25 AM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 56 Posts

Heat wrap will work, but keep in mind that it will hold moisture.

Quick Reply: Touring heat wrap