Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring heat wrap

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:19 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would prefer ceramic coating them versus wrapping the pipe. One thing I'm concerned with on the wrap method is the guage of the pipe the exhaust is made from. I'm worried the extra heat held in the pipe would be detremental to the metal in the pipe itself causing premature erosion and fatigue. I have no basis for saying this other than on a SCCA sports racer I used to run had a custom header/exhaust on a stock block. We were always concerned with heat managment because we'd tweak the AFRs so lean that the engine was always on the edge of disaster. Problem was the pipe was made from such a thin gauge in order to hold down weight (and cost too I'm sure) that if we wrapped it it would need replacing at least once during a season. Just looking at the Harley's exhaust it doesn't seem any thicker than the car's. Once it was available and we ceramic coated the header and exhaust we had no more issues and temps were down approx 12-15% as measured by the IR gun.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I had my 09 Ultra pipes wrapped from the headers back to the V&H slip ons when new. Just removed the pipes at 35K to install a D&D Fatcat. My experience is that the wrap does reduce the heat off the pipes, but does nothing for the heat off the heads, which is the big heat problem on the Ultra. My wrap was hard to see behind the shields. Yet, I had pretty bad heat issues at altitude in Colorado in August last summer. I'm looking to the Fatcat plus a good dyno tune to help out with the heat issue this summer.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Cyphilis
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by twistr
Heat wrap will work, but keep in mind that it will hold moisture.
If the bike is sitting outside in a rainstorm, but once you start it up it will burn all moisture out. The wrap will not trap moisture in. If you have ever installed it, you will know that its best to soak the wrap in water when you install it.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:31 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyphilis
If the bike is sitting outside in a rainstorm, but once you start it up it will burn all moisture out. The wrap will not trap moisture in. If you have ever installed it, you will know that its best to soak the wrap in water when you install it.
I agree. But ya know, there was a guy on here awhile back and I guess he was from Rainy Seattle or something cause he had pictures of his pipes after he removed the wrap and the pipes were totally rusted through and ruined.

Something like that...I forget.

lp

Old 05-12-2010, 11:37 AM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyphilis
Yes, I've installed and know you have to get it wet - not trying to turn this into a wrap battle - but until you start the engine and burn it off, it still holds moisture - even if the bike is sitting, the wrap will hold moisture on humid days until it is started again.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:50 AM
rosscustomz
Advanced

I have read that installing the Xied's helps reduce the temps, which is probably my first move. After that, I like the Klockworks true dual setup. Im hoping that between the two, I oughta be able to at least make some sort of heat improvement for the passenger and myself in traffic. I certainly would hate to wrap those $500 klockworks pipes just to ruin them. I might look into the ceramic coating option, depending on $

Old 05-12-2010, 12:38 PM
jorswift
Road Captain

I put wrap on my heads and I think, they are just as hot as before. My boot has melting to it a couple time and I would not dare touch it after riding!

Old 05-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wrapped mine over a year ago,painted it with high heat resistance paint,put the heat shields back on,and went on a 3,100mi tour over 14 days. My wife said she could definately tell a big difference. Now that I have the full stage pne on my bike,I still have the wrap on (Too lazy to remove it and it is still on tight) and it made an even bigger difference.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:58 PM
gwcrim
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hog Yild
I have an 07 Ultra, had the same heat problems as most here have. My solution ended up with a TTS Mastertune richer fuel map (plus K&N RK3910 filter kit), Jagg 10 row oil cooler, 09 stock header (requires 09 oil pan), the HD heat shields below my seat. And while I was putting on the 09 header, I used black exhaust wrap on header under the hrome heat shields (you really have to look to see it). Not sure I needed the exhaust wrap at that point, but it all seems to work well together in reducing the heat. I do know my wife doesn't feel the heat as much as she used to on her ankles and I don't fry my thighs anymore. It still gets hot, but the temperature is way down from stock. I really think the 09 pipe not having the y-pipe under the seat and the exhaust not running close to the passenger"s ankles made the biggest change.

But wrapping your stock header would be a small cost try.
And to think a simple cam change would have eliminated the problem at the source...

Old 05-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of Xied's that I bought for $40 from someone on here. I don't need them anymone since I did the PCIII,let me know if your interested in them. I take $35 plus shipping.

Originally Posted by rosscustomz
I have read that installing the Xied's helps reduce the temps, which is probably my first move. After that, I like the Klockworks true dual setup. Im hoping that between the two, I oughta be able to at least make some sort of heat improvement for the passenger and myself in traffic. I certainly would hate to wrap those $500 klockworks pipes just to ruin them. I might look into the ceramic coating option, depending on $

Quick Reply: Touring heat wrap